[Advocacy Advisors] FCC approves plan to allow for paid priority on Internet

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Thu May 15 16:04:14 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

For those interested in net neutrality, the Federal Communications
Committee in the US has voted to allow for paid priority on the internet.

Here's a link to the Washington Post article -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/05/15/fcc-approves-plan-to-allow-for-paid-priority-on-internet/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

I believe there is now a period where public views will be sought. What is
interesting is if the US does implement this change it makes it easier for
other countries to do the same.

Do any of our friends in the US have any info on how this might affect
Wikimedia projects?

Thanks and regards,

Stevie

--

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*