[Advocacy Advisors] Use of this list as evidence of consultation

faewik at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:17:32 UTC 2014

On 15 May 2014 15:55, Amgine <amgine at wikimedians.ca> wrote:
> The Principles do not explicitly mention sexual orientation. They also do not mention atheism or spiritualities, but only religion. In fact, there is a wide range of personal statuses - ability, ethnicity or 'race', genetic and health characteristics - which are not mentioned in the document and which various advocates really did agitate for inclusion. But the list is quite long as is, and represents a compromise between usefulness and inclusivity. Whingeing that your personal focus is not mentioned specifically doesn't really help, especially when you do not take into consideration the effort which was already invested nor display evidence of having actually considered the issues involved in reaching such a consensus.

Thanks for your comment. I am not intending to undo the work of
others, in fact I have no power of any kind here, as I had no voice in
advance of this decision being made. Nothing can be undone here. I am
writing to ensure that the WMF pay positive attention to promises of
consultation in existing policy, and that other Wikimedia groups at
least take a moment to consider, and hopefully discuss, this issue
before joining the bandwagon of support for the Principles.

"Sexual orientation" is mentioned in the preamble, it is just not part
of the actual Principles. Considering the many months of preparation
of the document, it can be no accident that the choice was to not
define the use of "others" by the preamble.

I do not agree that a concern for respect for the privacy of LGBT
minorities is "whingeing", I am taken aback as this language appears
to deride my point of view and the importance of a LGBT minority human
right to a private life in general.

Fae
--
faewik at gmail.com https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae