[Advocacy Advisors] ECJ decision in re Google v Gonzáles fallout

Beatriz Busaniche bea at vialibre.org.ar
Wed May 14 13:20:48 UTC 2014

El 14/05/14 10:06, Mathias Schindler escribió:
> http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/05/europes-troubling-new-right-to-be-forgotten/370796/
>
> "As far as I know, this is unprecedented," Jimmy Wales, a founder of
> Wikipedia who has campaigned against Internet censorship, told me. "It
> is certainly shocking to have come from the EU rather than from an
> authoritarian state."

It is controversial, indeed. But we need to consider that it also makes
an exception for public interest.  So, this opens a case by case
solution for data protection, but does not cover politicians, public
sector, and for sure not corporations or institutions.   It is difficult
to estimate the consequences of this case, but if a someone has enough
relevance to be in a wikipedia article, we could understand that it is
covered by the public interest clause of this decision clearly stated by
the European Court.

Anyway, we have to pay attention, because after this, I guess we could
expect lots of personal data elimination requirements. And, as Google
was found responsible, Wikipedia will be as well.

We have to do a close follow up on this.

Abrazos!
Bea