[Advocacy Advisors] leak of EU Commission copyright whitepaper

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 23 14:04:04 UTC 2014

FYI, it looks like a draft of the EU Commission's response to the recent
copyright consultation has been leaked. Summary here:

http://ipkitten.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/super-kat-exclusive-heres-commissions.html

Actual draft here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xcflgrav01tqlb/White%20Paper%20%28internal%20draft%29%20%281%29.PDF

The blog says: "From a first reading, this [blogger] actually thinks that
it is not very ambitious, and pretty aimed at the preservation of the *status
quo*."

But there are important nuances in there, like:

*Civil enforcement*

According to the Commission... a number of policy considerations should be
explored further, including clarifying what intermediaries can be involved
and how, and *focusing on the 'follow the money' approach*.

That's going to be an important one for us to keep an eye on - not that
we're "the money" per se, but that sort of 'focus' tends to be poorly
targeted and catch us by mistake.

I haven't been able to read it all yet, but thought I'd share here -
interested to hear other people's take.

Luis

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*