[Advocacy Advisors] Free Knowledge Advocacy: Planned Wikimania London Activities

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 17:36:43 UTC 2014

Hi Alice,

I will also be offering a "strategy working meeting" on Thursday before the
official confernce starts for people who can't stay until Monday.

It is not part of the official programme. To be shamelessly honest, it is
just something that we figured out needs to be done ASAP in order to work
more professionally. So we thought why not start collaborating on it with
interested people at Wikimania. Then we can put it up on Meta take it
further. It's about 10 pages full of specific questions on advocacy and our
goals that should be answered :)

Dimi

> [...]
>> that I can help with in the meantime.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>>
>> Stevie
>>

>> On 8 July 2014 12:10, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
>> dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We're planning 5 activities related to advocacy during Wikimania in
>>> London [1].
>>>
>>> Here's the list so you can comment, criticise, praise (yes, please) or
>>> just say you wish to help organising one or several of those (double yes).
>>> We have two programme submissions, two side-events and one "work meeting" .
>>>
>>> *1. Panel Discussion *[2]  - Saturday 16:30-18
>>> "How should Wikimedia advocate for free knowledge?"
>>> Panelists are Luis Villa, Jan Engelmann, Andrea Zanni, Parker Higgins
>>> and Katherine Maher
>>> *If you want to change something (panelists, topic), this is still
>>> possible. *
>>>
>>> *2. Talk/Workshop *[3] - Saturday ca. 15:30, just before Panel
>>> Discussion
>>> Update about the EU activities and brainstorming on cool project ideas
>>> tht could generate political and media impact. Idea is to provide a little
>>> background and set the tone for the panel discussion.
>>>
>>> *Dimi and whoever wishes to take part. *
>>>
>>> *3. Weasel Whiteboard on Wheels*
>>> The idea is to have a whiteboard with Wendy and someone from our group
>>> going around the conference and engage people in conversation about
>>> advocacy, free knowledge and policy. The whiteboard will pose questions
>>> that we need to answer for our strategy planning. Example: What would the
>>> best 30-second pitch for Freedom of Panorama be? Can you think of any
>>> groups in your country that would be interested in the issue?
>>> *Anyone who wishes can do this for a while. Not compulsory schedule.*
>>>
>>> *4. Networking Lunch* - Sunday at lunch
>>> The idea is that a lot of civil society groups/activits/NGOs will be
>>> present at Wikimania this year (e.g. ORG, EFF, OK, Initiative für
>>> Netzfreiheit). We should take an hour at lunch or in the evening to get to
>>> know each other and catch each other up on what we're working on. A lot of
>>> synergies and know-how transfer possible here! I am trying to see if I can
>>> get a seperate room reserved and the registrations lists, so I can invite
>>> the people.
>>> *Please feedback - still just planning*
>>>
>>> *5. Working on Strategy *- Thursday and Monday
>>> We need to come up with a more coherent and long-term advocacy strategy,
>>> at least when it comes to our core issues like PD-Gov and FoP. Questions
>>> like: Who are the main decision makers? Which actors are possible allies?
>>> What is our best 30-second and 3-minute pitch? Which tactics sould we use
>>> (direct lobbying/coalitions/petitions/media
>>> work/showcases/studies/information materials)?
>>> As people have incompatible travel schedules I will offer a meeting on
>>> this on Thursday and Monday after the conference. I expect Monday to be

>>> [2]
>>> https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Liquid_Lobbying_-_How_should_Wikimedia_advocate_for_free_knowledge%3F
>>> [3]