[Advocacy Advisors] Let's Reach Out to MEPs - We Need National Coordinators for Mailing Campaign

Karl Sigfrid karl at wikimedia.be
Thu Dec 18 14:42:13 UTC 2014

Wikimedia UK recently executed a successful mailing campaign aimed at
MEPs in their national constituency. Each MEP received a letter listing
urgent copyright-reform needs along with an offer from WMUK to answer
copyright-related questions that decision makers may have.[1]

We would like to try to replicate the mailing campaign in other EU
countries.

Dimi has set up a wiki page where you can see the concrete steps that
are needed to realize the plan.[2] To begin with we need wikimedians,
staff or volunteers, who want to take on the role as national coordinators.

The coordinator's job is to make sure that the mail is prepared and
sent, which involves a number of steps such as translation and gathering
addresses.

The ambition is to send out the letters in February and then to maintain
the contacts that we establish. It is a great way to identify MEPs who
are friendly to our goals and with whom we can work on future projects
as well.

Right now, we need to find coordinators. If you would like to do this
important job or if you know someone else in your country who would,
that's great news! It's a very concrete and rewarding task for anyone
interested in influencing policies, and we will provide the support that
you need throughout the project.

Hope to hear from you!

Karl and Dimi

[1]https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/File:Letter_to_MEPs_with_images.pdf