[Advocacy Advisors] List behavior and moderation [was Re: Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 13 22:28:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:42 PM, L.Gelauff <lgelauff at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Luis,
>
> Seems reasonable to me. I am a little sad though that we have to have this
> discussion in the first place though!

Not too sad - just the nature of mailing lists, especially about politics
:) Everyone here is strongly opinionated, and we are discussing important
issues that we feel passionate about. We also have looser social
connections - not everyone knows each other, for example, and we sometimes
have strong loyalties to other groups that conflict with this one. (And
those are dangers even when everyone speaks the same language natively, and
has the same set of background cultural expectations, which we don't.)

So it is inevitable that if we're not careful and *intentional* about being
good to one another that conflicts will happen. No need to be sad about it,
any more than one should be sad that a dropped glass is caught by gravity.
Focus on hanging on to the glass, not being angry at gravity ;)

Luis