[Advocacy Advisors] Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 19:17:36 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Unfortunately some of our worse fears are becoming reality. Truth is,
Wikimedia, due to its innner conflict in this case has always been too weak
and vulnerable to have an active position on a red hot issue like net
neutrality. We're torn between the awareness that we thrive only because of
an equal internet and the logical wish to spread our awesome projects.

The problem is that we don't have an actual - political or legal -
solution. So we're just saying that our project is great (which it is) and
that it should be allowed (which I don't argue with). But when we put out a
fuzzy message paired with an incoherent argumentation and at the same time
don't control the narrative, we're turning Wikipedia into a handy tool for
others. If we don't define it, others will, but in a way that helps their
agenda.
Large multinational companies will of course start using this for their own
needs. There's now tens of lobbyists in Brussels, Geneva and, I imagine, DC
going around talking to decision-makers telling them that net neutrality
will kill projects like Wikipedia (fullstop of explanation). Very few
people will really look into the fine details and distinguish Wikipedia
Zero from Facebook Zero. The former has de-facto become an argument for the
latter.

There a lots of lessons to be learned here. Another "don't go there-flag"
for me is the current "right to be forgotten" discussion in Europe, where
Wikipedia is being used as a tool for another organisation's political
agenda. [1] Again because we're using very simplistic arguments for a very
complex issue with no coordination whatsoever.

Anyway, have a great start of the week tomorrow, let's enjoy Wikimania and
be productive!

Can't wait to see a lot of you there!

Cheers,
Dimi