[Advocacy Advisors] Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality

Amgine amgine at wikimedians.ca
Sat Aug 2 04:04:32 UTC 2014

On Aug 1, 2014, at 15:48, Yana Welinder <ywelinder at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to follow up on the discussion on Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality on this list. We just posted a discussion on this topic: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/08/01/wikipedia-zero-and-net-neutrality-protecting-the-internet/
>
> Best,
> Yana

Argh, what a marketing moment weakened! Yana, here is my active voice ruler; please whack Eric with it for me. Clearly xe isn't writing for wikinews often enough. (side note: is there a PR/Marketing review cycle for such blog entries?)

I'm fairly sure WMF has already been swatted a bit about the (not) net neutrality issue. This is one of the issues with the Chilean discussion as well. The entire Wikipedia Zero initiative is, in fact, tailored to get a major NGO to work against net neutrality. Look at the partners. Facebook? really, Facebook? Facebook actually using the *same language*, Facebook Zero? I understand the goal, but imo the cost to WMF's brand and goodwill has been ENORMOUS and is growing.

Unfortunately I expect the Advocacy Advisory opinions regarding this topic are too little, too late, and viewed as irrelevant.

Amgine