[Advocacy Advisors] EU Policy Monitoring Report - May

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Wed May 29 07:59:34 UTC 2013

Hi Niko,

An exception for the cultural sector is surely better than no exception at
all, but is that something that would help us if everything else is tightly
and harshly regulated? The Commission has affirmed its intentions to have
an intellectual property regulation chapter in the document.

Then again, there will be serious questions as to what this exception for
the "audiovisual sector" (including online services) is about. The
initiative came mainly from the French cinema industry who wanted to keep
their quotas (France and many other EU countries have a mininum % of
national films that have to be shown on each cinema screen).

The real problem here is that while the European Parliament will be on
board, the negotiations will again be mostly done behind the scenes, so we
are running the risk of being presented something final that cannot be
changed anymore.

Dimi