[Advocacy Advisors] repost from wikimedia-l re IEEE 802.16 WiMAX/MeFi in whitespaces

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Wed May 29 03:46:33 UTC 2013

Kul Wadhwa wrote:

> Microsoft with other partners has also been working on bringing broadband
> to Kenya (and ultimately other African countries) via white spaces....
> However, every party has their own agenda so hopefully competition lowers
> prices and gives people more choices. And having many entities working to
> get people internet access (esp those that really need it) is what we need
> to see more of...

...The FCC has been performing successful IEEE 802.16 WiMAX/MeFi
whitespaces tests in at least three metropolitan areas since 2006. However,
these pilots are actively opposed by carriers who lobby the FCC, states and
municipalities, the FTC, and even hardware manufactures trying to stave off
adoption because as soon as the correct approvals get rubber stamped,
municipalities will be able to offer telephony services in competition with
the mobile carriers.

Would someone please create an advocacy RFC about this?