[Advocacy Advisors] Diplomatic Conference to Conclude a Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works by Visually Impaired Persons and Persons with Print Disabilities

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Wed May 22 10:05:42 UTC 2013

Le 2013-05-21 09:16, Mathias Schindler a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> WIPO is currently negotiating a treaty to introduce a new
> limitation/exception to copyright. The German ministry of justice is
> keeping us posted with the current wording of the (still not
> finalized) treaty.
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland has not been participating in any efforts on
> this matter. We indicated to the ministry early on that we believe
> every person should be allowed to transform a published work to make
> it fit his or her current needs and that such copyright
> limitation/exception should not be restricted to visually impaired
> persons.
>
> Mathias

Isn't it a "everything or nothing" approach? Don't get me wrong : sure
I would like to see a world where everybody can have all means to access
culture. In fact, on this regard I completely agree with what Russell
write in "In Praise of Idleness"[1].

Now, I wouldn't drop an ease of access for visually impaired persons
just because I would like more for everybody.

[1] http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/