[Advocacy Advisors] [Wikimedia-l] WMF response to PRISM?

Amgine amgine at wikimedians.ca
Wed Jul 10 05:24:42 UTC 2013

On 09/07/13 02:52 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
> It does not! I think it is more like:
>
> 1. Don't sign stopwatching.us, or do anything else too US-focused.
> 2. Internally, do be careful with (or as necessary improve) WMF's own
> privacy processes.
> 3. Externally, do (unspecified something).
>
> For #2, see the discussion on the privacy policy revision:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy/Call_for_input_%282013%29
>
> For #3, we're still very open to doing that unspecified something. We just
> don't see any consensus on what the unspecified something is, other than
> "not something US-focused".
>
> So please, we're definitely open to anything around #3 that can get
> consensus, like (say) James' suggestion that we promote prism-break. We
> would actively *like* to do that (several people here have signed various
> petitions as individuals, for example). We just don't see what that is yet.
>
> Hope that helps clarify-
> Luis

For me, "don't be US centric" doesn't mean "don't do things oriented
toward the USA". It means "don't *only* do things oriented toward the
USA". This was also the impression I received reading through the
comments; not that one should refuse to engage with US-focused actions,
but that one should not *solely* engage with US-focused actions.

YMMV.

Amgine