[Advocacy Advisors] Does the Foundation intend to propose any actual actions?

Stephen LaPorte slaporte at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 15 23:26:33 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM, James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> That says, "Policy and political issues include public support for or
> against proposed laws and executive actions, online backing for
> political initiatives, and partnerships with organizations to promote
> shared policy and political positions.... [examples include]
> Collaborative Advocacy / We collaborate with another organization to
> take action on a particular policy or political question."
>
> Am I correct in saying that there have not been any such actions since
> that Foundation Policy was approved?

Yes, that is correct. Please note that this is an internal guideline,
as opposed to a formal Foundation policy.

> I propose that the Foundation survey the community asking about how
> often they expect such actions to take place. I am sure there will be
> a wide range of opinion. Some such as myself would support formal
> proposal and consideration rather frequently, and plenty of people
> think that they should never occur.
>
> Will you perform such a survey?

It is unlikely that we will have the opportunity to perform a direct survey
on the topic. However, if you want to participate in more frequent
advocacy, I would be happy to recommend some dedicated advocacy
organizations for relevant issues (such as the Center for Democracy and
Technology, Public Knowledge, etc).

--
Stephen LaPorte
Legal Counsel

*For legal reasons, I may only serve as an attorney for the Wikimedia
Foundation. This means I may not give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer
for community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal
capacity.*