[Advocacy Advisors] Trial Court Throws out Viacom's Suit Against YouTube

Stephen LaPorte slaporte at wikimedia.org
Sat Apr 20 00:32:17 UTC 2013

Hello all,

You may be interested to see that Google's motion for summary judgement was
granted in the Viacom case. The decision is attached, and see below for a

Google again beats Viacom in YouTube copyright case
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/18/entertainment-us-google-viacom-idUSBRE93H17S20130418

By Jonathan Stempel
Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:11pm EDT

(Reuters) - A federal judge has thrown out Viacom Inc's lawsuit accusing
Google Inc of posting its programs on YouTube without permission, a year
after a federal appeals court had revived the landmark copyright
infringement case.

For the second time in three years, U.S. District Judge Louis Stanton in
Manhattan rejected Viacom's damages claims over Google's alleged
unauthorized posting of clips from "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,"
"South Park," "SpongeBob SquarePants" and other programs that viewers had
uploaded to YouTube.

…

--
Stephen LaPorte
Legal Counsel

*For legal reasons, I may only serve as an attorney for the Wikimedia
Foundation. This means I may not give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer
for community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal
capacity.*