Erik Moeller wrote:
We currently seem to be using at least two
different logos for Wiktionary:
Has there been a community decision which one is to be preferred?
There was a global (not Wiktionary) vote many months ago that decided
for the scrabble logo, which had very little support among actual
Wiktionarians, and was largely ignored. There is no standard logo. Some
projects adopted the scrabble logo anyway, but I can't speak for them.
Some of it may been from the mistaken belief that this was some
"official" logo mandated by the Foundation. For various reasons, not
just the copyright issue, en.wikt has very little love for that logo in
my experience--which is not to say that the current one is popular.
Basically, it's in permanent limbo, and most of us have returned to our
regular work and stopped bothering about it.
the French Wiktionary adopted the logo in July via a general vote :
I didn't participate in the discussions, but the main reasons looks like :
* the respect for the procedure used previously (the big vote) ;
* a need for a common logo, for some harmony with the other projects
like Wikipedia which has one logo ;
So we decided to change the logo (vi, ar, it are other projects that
have changed it seems). Right now, we keep it and prefer to contribute
to the dictionary itself (so much words too work on...).
As for me, as I agree that we should follow the procedure (that looked
somehow "official"), I would gladly work to make another logo, but this
* with some kind of official approval, information and organisation from
the Foundation, or at least something official and approved by anyone ;
* a pre-work on the logo, to determine what we need, fix some limits e.g. :
- what colors can or cannot be used for example, what format to use,
fonts etc. ;
- respect of copyright things (the scrabble-like logo is not a good idea
- a need for a common and unique logo (even the new one can be changed
by the communities if they want, changing the central letter for example) ;
That way there would less surprises like the last time.
* a vote restricted to Wiktionarians maybe (I mean, the voters should at
least have an account to participate on something of this importance) ?
I'd be glad if we decided to make a new logo ("seriously" this time).
But for now I've got some work to do on my wiktio ;)
Darkdadaah at fr.wiktionary