This week's bug triage was the first one held by IRC in an effort to
be more open to community involvement. On that basis, it was
successful: User:Bawolff stepped up to the plate to take on a couple of
bugs and User:Leinad stepped in to ask us to consider solving
In preparation for 1.18, I had taken all of the bugs marked with
“High” priority and made them blockers on the 1.18 Deployment Bug
) or on the 1.18 Tarball Bug
So the first thing we did was look at this list of blocker bugs and
make sure they all should be blockers. This process revealed a
problem with my method of turning “High” priority bugs into blockers
For example, I didn't examine some bugs closely enough. The following
two are a good example of this:
Make image views statistics available through Wikistats
Set up notification for when/if Google's safe browsing spots
something on wiki
Others that we found and removed from being blockers were
Search should index template expansion
lucene search for simple text misses some results
iPhone Native Crash with UTF-8
Block::purgeExpired giving "Lock wait timeout
Article::updateCategoryCounts 1213 Deadlock found when trying to
Cross Origin compatible (CORS)
Going through the list also helped us discover a couple that should be
Sometimes there's "undefined" in a Resource loader CSS request
Prevent creation of new (unattached?) SUL accounts with already
From there, we moved on to the bugs that were affecting
MediaWiki:Filepage.css not loaded on foreignwiki itself
Chad glommed onto right away. After a bit of diagnosis, he fixed it
Edited page is not showing the most recent edits to anyone
not logged into wikipedia
Bawolff has been working on the problem and, upon Robla's advice, I
bumped the priority. Bawolff may need some help figuring out how to
test Squid, but until he does, he's on it.
maintenance script edit.php doesn't update link tables properly
Since Bawolff was already working on this and it was otherwise a low
priority, I assigned it to him.
Anonymous users can edit page protected with [edit=autoconfirmed]
Roan suggested that the page may have been deleted and undeleted, thus
removing the edit protection. This suggestion led to close
examination of the log where Brion notice today that everything was,in
fact, working correctly, but, because of difficulty on the part of
the developers in understanding the timeline and the actions, that
wasn't seen soon enough.
Enable $wgHtml5 on Wikimedia wikis
There were no known technical issues blocking this, but in order to
avoid having to roll it out and then roll it back when people
complained that it broke, say, Twinkle, we needed to make sure we have
someone who can babysit the roll out. After some discussion, We
appointed Reedy to be the point man on this.
This request from Indian wikis and a clear description of the tasks
involved from Brion made it a great addition to our “Annoying little
bug” page (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Annoying_little_bug
) that I'm
maintaining to point potential new MediaWiki developers to some
relatively achievable tasks.
LQT putting crap in dumps
By the time we got to this in triage, Brion already had a fix
committed for this one. Yay, Brion!
Periodical run of currently disabled special pages (WantedPages,
After Tim pointed out that a few of the disabled pages “should never be run
under any circumstances”, I asked him to update the bug with
information about which of the queries that was.
[[MediaWiki:Enotif body]] needs GENDER support
As if Bawolff's involvement in the triage wasn't reason enough to
continue holding them on IRC, Leinad stopped by during the meeting to
ask if we could fix this bug for the 1.18 release.
After a bit of discussion, we decided that I should contact the author
of enotify to see if he would fix gender support.
That's all for this week. Our next IRC triage will be at 2100 UTC
I hope to see you there,