On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Faidon Liambotis <faidon(a)wikimedia.org>wrote;wrote:
Last time we were discussing PHP 5.4 it was quite a
while ago but I
remember hearing that we'd need to do some porting work for our
extensions. Plus, we we re having a debate we were having about Suhosin
that I don't think ended up anywhere :)
On that front, I think everyone who was holding out for Suhosin had
conceded that it wasn't going to happen, so that's not a blocker.
However, last I heard, platform engineering is
focusing on HHVM now
instead, so I'm not sure if it actually makes sense to spend resources
to move to PHP 5.4 right now.
Agreed. We've started work in earnest, with the goal of getting one
service deployed in HipHop soon:
After we get that service deployed, we may need to set aside that work for
other priorities. We'll be assessing at our next quarterly review in
April, deciding if we want to finish off the job quickly, or if we need to
let it rest while more bugs are knocked out of the system. If it looks
like it's going to take a while, we can also decide if we want a PHP 5.4
upgrade prior to a full cutover to HipHop.