On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Robert Stojnic <rainmansr(a)gmail.com> wrote:
Just a quick update, a couple of days ago all of this
stuff got enabled on
all WMF projects. The delay has mainly been due to us having to order more
hardware (particularly RAM) since my initial estimate of how much we needed
was somewhat off.
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Robert Stojnic <rainmansr(a)gmail.com>
We now have english wikipedia fully migrated to new servers / new search
backend. We cannot fully migrate other wikis until we resolve some
issues. In the meantime, here is the overview of
new features now
1) Did you mean... - we now have search suggestions. Care has been taken
provide suggestions that are context-sensitive,
i.e. on phrases, proper
2) fuzzy and wildcard queries - a word can be made fuzzy by adding ~ to
it's end, e.g. query sarah~ thompson~ will give all different spellings
similar names to sarah thompson. Wildcards can
now be prefix and suffix,
e.g. *stan will give various countries in central asia.
3) prefix: - using this magic prefix, queries can be limited to pages
beginning with certain prefix. E.g.
mwsuggest prefix:Wikipedia:Village Pump
will search all village pumps and archives for mwsuggest. This should be
especially useful for archive searching in concert with inputbox or
4) intitle: - using this magic prefix, queries can be limited to titles
5) generally improved quality of search results via usage of related
articles (based on co-occurrence of links), anchor text, text abstracts,
proximity within articles, sections, redirects, improved stemming and
> Cheers, Robert
Not bad :D
Is all this the stuff that's built into Lucene-search 2.1? I may have to
give it another go.