We are starting a user group for people interested in spreading the
adoption of the Rust programming language in the Wikimedia movement.
If you're not familiar with it, Rust is a systems programming language
that aims to provide the trifecta of safety, concurrency and speed. It's
very fun to use (rated #1 favorite language in Stack Overflow's survey 5
years and counting) and has fantastic tooling.
If you're already using Rust or looking to get started - please sign up!
The current proposed goals of the user group are:
* Develop a rich toolkit of Rust libraries and applications for working
with Wikimedia and MediaWiki projects and APIs
* Make Rust a first-class language in Wikimedia infrastructure like
* Encourage the usage of Rust where appropriate to build safer and
* Assist others who end up encountering Rust and need help (e.g. when
upstreams adopt Rust)
* Mentor new developers who are interested in contributing technically
to the Wikimedia movement, including through programs like GSoC and
Have other ideas of what we could do? Please suggest them on the talk page!