<tl;dr>: Your feedback is wanted on
last year the Developer Advocacy team started to work on a single,
central entry point for developers and tech-minded people for
Wikimedia's technical documentation.
A central entry point ("developer portal") would cover common technical
use cases to allow existing and future technical contributors and
developers to find the information they need.
Each use case links to its most relevant documentation (i.e. to pages
on wikitech or mediawiki.org
This is part of a larger initiative to implement an organization
strategy for key technical documents: Understand challenges about
finding and maintaining docs, identify key docs, and investigate ways
to improve our workflows around documentation.
So far we:
* Researched and reviewed existing documentation venues and pages
* Reviewed developer/documentation portals in the broader industry
* Interviewed several engineering teams around technical documentation
workflows, audiences, and key technical docs (the key themes from
these conversations are available, see the link above)
* Created an initial draft for the structure and content of the single
Now we would like to improve this initial content draft with your help.
1) Please take a look at the initial draft at
2) Then, please help improve it by sharing your thoughts and feedback
until *May 25th* at
Note that this is only a draft how to structure content.
It is not a design or layout proposal and it is not an implementation.
For additional future work, see also the Phabricator workboard.
Next steps include:
* A session at the remote Hackathon (May 22-23; )
* Incorporate content improvements, based on your feedback
* Check the documents linked from the single entry point proposal for
* Investigate requirements for the technical implementation
* Investigate improvements of processes around technical documentation
(structure, locations, navigation, stewardship, etc).
If you want to learn more about the project, please see
Thanks to everybody who has provided their valuable input to get to
this stage, and thanks in advance to everyone who will!
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate