----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark A. Hershberger"
The problem naturally falls back on the parser: As I
the only reliable way of creating XHTML from MW markup is the parser that
is built into MediaWiki and is fairly hard to separate (something I
learned when I tried to put the parser tests into a PHPUnit test harness.)
I think The first step for creating a reliable, independent parser for
MW markup would be to write some sort of specification
) and then to make sure our
parser tests have good coverage.
The last time I spent any appreciable time on wikitech (which was 4 or 5
years ago), *someone* had a grammar and parser about 85-90% working. I
don't have that email archive due to a crash, so I can't pin a name to
it or comment on whether it's someone in this thread...
or, alas, comment on what happened later. But he seemed pretty excited
and happy, as I recall.