Hey all --
The MediaWiki Architecture Committee has added two members by provisional
* Roan Kattouw, Wikimedia Foundation (visual editor & core)
* Daniel Kinzler, Wikimedia Deutschland
Roan and Daniel are familiar faces with longtime contributions to
MediaWiki. They will be helping with relevant RfC reviews and approvals,
and giving advice and ideas as we continue to spin up work in the Arch
These are in addition to the original three members:
* Mark Bergsma, Wikimedia Foundation (ops)
* Tim Starling, Wikimedia Foundation (core)
* Brion Vibber, Wikimedia Foundation (mobile)
We plan to have a more formal process for maintenance of the committee
membership ready for approval at the MediaWiki Dev Summit in January, as
well as a more fleshed-out roadmap of what we want the committee to
Other Arch Committee news:
* In the meantime we're concentrating on picking up MediaWiki RfCs to make
sure they don't go stale. Last week, Brion and Tim picked up the RfC for
styling in templates with an eye to do clean scoping of the styles for
security and cleanliness purposes.
* We've been chatting with Trevor's Front-end Standardization Group about
some other RfC topics such as picking an HTML templating engine for
ResourceLoader modules. Jon Robson from Mobile Web has started on a
changeset integrating some of the interfaces from the Mantle extension,
starting with a basic HTML loader and with plans to include JS-side (and
later PHP-side) Handlebars-compatible template compilers. This is still a
work in progress as I understand.
Both of these RfC pages need to be updated for current status. Also I
totally understand that using the term "template" for both MediaWiki markup
templates and HTML UI templates is confusing!
* This week's RfC checkup meeting happening real soon now -- 21:00 UTC /
2pm Pacific Time -- in #wikimedia-office so come by and say hello!
Until next time.... arch on!
-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com
/ bvibber @ wikimedia.org