On 10/13/10 3:00 AM, Robert Leverington wrote:
On 2010-10-13, Trevor Parscal wrote:
Thank you, everyone, for responding so far
(not trying to stop you
here). Here's where it seems we're at.
1. Having an extension called "Vector" is neither descriptive or
clear, and it is anticipated to cause confusion.
2. System administrators are not enjoying things being switched
around on them, and would prefer the name either not change or for
the extension to be merged into core.
3. 3 out of 5 code reviewers are voting that it should be merged into
core (Brion and Tim have not weighed in yet).
I did not realise decisions
were now being voted on by code reviewers,
this is very concerning.
Read the next paragraph, I am simply stating that there is willingness
to support the review of the integration. Perhaps "voting" was a bad
choice of word, but I think if you take it in the context of the entire
conversation it's clear I'm not literally asking for a few people to
vote to determine the final decision.
hesitation to merge Vector (not to be lumped together with
WikiEditor) into core was always that we were going to be extremely lean
on CodeReview prior to 1.17 due to Tim Starling's limited availability
right now. Since then we've added Roan, Chad, and me, and even brought
Brion back for a bit part time to help out, thus increasing our capacity
beyond what was originally expected. I think under these new
circumstances, if we have Roan and Chad willing to help me integrate it
into core and sign off on it, it will likely be of very little
additional effort for our release manager (Tim Starling) to sign off as
well, thus alleviating my apprehension about merging it prior to 1.17.
has been deployed to the Wikimedia cluster, has it not already
had more than sufficient review that we would be comfortable including it
in a release?
Well, breaking it up into lots of little pieces and spreading it out all
over the code base (the current reality of integrating an extension into
core) is going to require review, adding complexity to the release.
there's any objection, I will go ahead and merge the Vector
extension into core as part of the Vector skin immediately, rather than
waiting until after 1.17.
That would be great.
Wikitech-l mailing list