The latest tech newsletter is now available at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Tech/News/2015/14 . Below is the English version.
You can help write the next newsletter: whenever you see information about Wikimedia technology that you think should be distributed more broadly, you can add it to the next newsletter at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/Next.
More information on how to contribute is available at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News#contribute . You can also contact me directly.
As always, feedback (on- or off-list) is appreciated and encouraged.
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- You can now hide site banners even if you don't have an account. 
- You can now add citations more easily with VisualEditor on the French and Italian Wikipedia. The tool adds the information when you add some types of links. In the future you will be able to add this tool to your wiki.  
- All sites should now be faster if you have a recent browser. 
- You could see a serious bug when editing some templates with VisualEditor. It was fixed quickly. 
- VisualEditor could break when you edited an image. The issue was fixed quickly. 
Changes this week
- The new version of MediaWiki has been on test wikis and MediaWiki.org since March 25. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis from March 31. It will be on all Wikipedias from April 1 (calendar).
- VisualEditor is now the main editing tool on 53 more Wikipedias. 
- You can now edit the mobile site of all wikis without an account. 
- You can test a new tool on the beta mobile site on the English Wikipedia. With the new tool, you can create lists of articles. 
- You can now see that VisualEditor is opening even if you're not looking at the top of the page. 
- VisualEditor doesn't leave empty titles with just nowiki tags any more.    
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.