It is widely covered in vernacular press
I think it may be relevant to share the context of this too . This may be helpful and useful for other wikisource communities. I am part of the Organizing Team and our organization , Swathanthra Malayalam Computing is one of the partners for this
1. Unlike Latin based languages , Most of the Indian languages does not have a functional OCR solution. So for us the digitalising means typing the pages and proofreading them .
2. Even though there are many state run institutions and libraries are engaged in scanning books for their digitization , The public domain works are not available in most cases . Initiatives like GLAM s not much suited for small librarys and state institutions.
3. In short the absence / Way to thank library for preserving books till they release under public domain with proper media attention becomes a difficult task . This program experimenting a way to thank Govt institution named Keral Sahithya academi via media attention for preserving and donating the public domain copies to many books to wikisource .
4.Wikisource can be used as a way of training new users to familiarize with mediawiki and wikisyntax . A Typing+proofreading competition with declared prizes anyway attracts more users and attention . within first 5 days 80+ new contributors and 798 pages added to Malayalam wikisource
5. We Succeeded in getting IT@School program of Govt of Kerala as an official partner and created a seperate competition for schools . So Students under the guidance of teachers can involve in Malayalam wikisource and get exposure for wikimedia projects
6. This helps in building more references for wikipedia articles . This is an important concern for many languages without much digital archives
Thanks to Vishnu , Director of CIS-A2K for initially coming up with an idea of running a proofreading contest in malayalam wikipedia by offering some Devices . This helped us to start exploring the possibilities and expanding the program with more partners .
In last October Malayalam wikisource community released a 2.0 version of its offline CD . This is the next major endeavour