(Also posted to http://wikipedia.com/wiki/user_talk:Marian
The new "Cologne blue" skin is a tremendous improvement. I think we
should eventually make it the default.
A couple of things I would like to change:
* The exclamation marks in front of actions are not necessary and
without explanation confuse more than they illuminate.
* The upper right "Log in" should switch to "Log out" if I'm
* If the side box is switched off in preferences, we need at a
minimum an "edit this page" link somewhere at the bottom. Also,
there's currently a bug which displays the page header at the
bottom in this case.
* The Wikipedia logo in the page header should be a link to the main
page. That seems to be the standard behavior on all sites nowadays.
Can we spend the screen real estate to use our current logo?
* "My Settings" should be "My settings", similar to "My
* The row in the upper right should contain a link to wikipedia:Help
* In the side box, the Edit section should get the link "Edit this
page", in addition to "Upload file". I think that's where people
would expect it. The link should go away when editing a page. A link
to Editing Help could be added.
* The small font (show diff) should be removed. It looks crappy, and
"diff" is not a term that people are familiar with. Just add a new
entry "Show last change"
* "All pages" is pretty useless, and expensive on the server, so I
think that doesn't need to be on the sidebar.
* "Recent Changes" is not self-explanatory. Maybe "Recently changed
pages" is clearer.
* "Myself" should be changed to "My page", because that's what it
* Under "Page options", the link should be "Printable version"
of "Print", because that's what it is.
* The section "Page options" should disappear if there are no Page
options that apply to the current page, for instance when editing.
Again, please don't mis-interpret this list of criticisms: I am
strongly in favor of "Cologne Blue". A similar list of criticisms for
the current scheme would be at least three times as long.