We from the Centre for Internet and Society (CIS-A2K) thank you all for your support and
collaboration We bring you the details of our work for the month of March 2014:
Draft Work plan July 2014 - June 2015
The Access to Knowledge team from CIS (CIS-A2K) published a detailed draft work plan.
These include 7 language area plans, 3 community strengthening initiatives, 8 stand-alone
Wikimedia projects, creating movement resources, publicity, research and documentation,
and general support and service to the movement. The work plans for Bengali, Hindi,
Kannada, Konkani, Marathi, Odia and Telugu languages can be accessed here
1. First Urdu Wikipedia Workshop
(Maulana Azad National Urdu University, Hyderabad, March 4, 2014). Syed Muzamiluddin
conducted the workshop. The event was covered by Taemeer News, Aalami Akhbar, and
Firokhabar on March 5, 2014. A video of the event was published by Ruby News.
2. Telugu Wikipedia Women’s Day
(Hyderabad, March 8, 2014). T. Vishnu Vardhan participated in this event. The event was
covered by Andhra Prabha
Telugu daily and Andhra Bhoomi <http://www.andhrabhoomi.net/content/bjp-71> .
3. Wiki Women’s Day <http://cis-india.org/events/international-womens-day-2014>
(International Center Goa, March 9, 2014). Frederick Noronha conducted the workshop. The
event was organized as part of the commemoration of the International Women's Day.
4. Wikipedia Editathon on India Women's History (Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of
Technology (CBIT), Hyderabad, March 8, 2014). The event was covered by Andhra Prabha
and Andhra Bhoomi <http://www.andhrabhoomi.net/content/bjp-71> on March 8, 2014.
T. Vishnu Vardhan spoke at this event and also gave a Wikipedia demonstration. Syed
Muzamiluddin gave a brief Wikipedia demonstration.
5. Kannada Wikipedia Workshop
(SDM College, Ujire, March 23, 2014). Dr. U.B.Pavanaja conducted a workshop. Renuka
Phadnis wrote a report of the event in the Hindu on March 24, 2014.
6. Community Capacity Building Workshop
(KIIT University, March 30, 2014). Subhashish Panigrahi along with experienced Wikipedians
mentored the Odia Wikipedia community about community building strategies and outreach.
Release of DVD containing free licensed Odia font, open source tools and Offline Odia
Wikipedia during Odisha Dibasa 2014 <https://or.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:OD14> on
March 29, 2014.
Image: Ahemadullah Shaikh <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ahemadullahsk>
1. Kannada Wikipedia Workshop (organized by Kannada Times Sagara and co-sponsored by
CIS-A2K, Sagara, March 1-2, 2014). Dr. U.B. Pavanaja conducted a Kannada Wikipedia
workshop on March 1, followed a by edit-a-thon on Mar 2, 2014. The event was covered by
(March 1, 2014), Vijaya Karnataka
(March 2, 2014) and Vijaya Vani
<http://cis-india.org/news/vijayavani-kannada-wiki-workshop-march-3-2014> (March 3,
2. Odisha Day 2014 <http://cis-india.org/openness/events/odisha-day-2014>
(organized by CIS-A2K and Odia Wikipedia community, Jayadev Bhawan, Bhubaneswar, March 29,
2014). About 70 people participated in the event. The event was featured in the media
about 14 times.
3. Telugu Wikipedia at JNTUACEP
<http://cis-india.org/openness/events/telugu-wiki-jntuacep> (co-organized by
CIS-A2K and the Department of Computer Science, JNTUACEP, Andhra Pradesh, March 28, 2014).
Rahmanuddin Shaik was a speaker.
Articles / Blog Entries
1. Open Education Week: Interview with Subhashish Panigrahi
(by Noopur Raval, March 14, 2014).
2. Open Source Project Brings 11th Century Kannada Verses Online
(by Pavithra Hanchagaiah, Omshivaprakash H L and Subhashish Panigrahi, March 19, 2014).
3. Vachana Sanchaya: 11th century Kannada literature to enrich Wikisource
(by by Pavithra Hanchagaiah, Omshivaprakash H L and Subhashish Panigrahi, March 20,
4. <http://cis-india.org/openness/blog/wikipedia-odia-completes-10-years> ଓଡ଼ିଆ
ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ: ତିନି ବର୍ଷର ସକ୍ରିୟ ଅବଦାନ ୧୦ ବର୍ଷର ପ୍ରକଳ୍ପକୁ ପୁନର୍ଜୀବନ ଦେଲା (by Subhashish
Panigrahi, March 20, 2014).
5. Digitize any Book in the Public Domain
Subhashish Panigrahi, Opensource.com
, March 27, 2014).
Participation in Events
1. Sessions on Kannada Wikipedia
(organized by Tumkur University, March 27, 2014). Dr. U.B.Pavanaja conducted a session on
Kannada Wikipedia for students of M.Sc. Library and Information Sciences followed by an
advanced Kannada Wikipedia session for students of M.A. Literature.
2. The Dynamics of Education to Employment Journey: Opportunities and Challenges
by KIIT School of Management, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, February 21-22, 2014). T.
Vishnu Vardhan and Subhashish Panigrahi gave talks.
CIS gave its inputs for the following media coverage:
1. Integrating Urdu with Modern Technology the Need of Hour
(Daily Taskeen, March 6, 2014).
2. <http://cis-india.org/news/odishan-march-27-2014-odisha-day-2014> ଓଡ଼ିଶା ଦିବସ:
ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଭାଷା ଭିତ୍ତିରେ ରାଜ୍ୟ ଗଠନର ୭୯ ବର୍ଷ (Odishan.com
, March 27, 2014).
3. Odia Wikipedia
Telegraph, March 29, 2014). Subhashish Panigrahi spoke about Odia Wikipedia plan.
4. Odia Wikimedia community celebrated Odisha day, bringing 14 copyright free Odia books
(Odishadiary, March 29, 2014): <web-link>1lJJ4ur.
5. Odia Wikipedia Brings 14 Copyright Free Odia Books and a Free Odia Font
(Odishabarta, March 29, 2014). Subhashish Panigrahi shared the vision of the Wikimedia
6. ‘Digitisation only way to preserve valuable literature for posterity’
(Odisha Sun Times, March 29, 2014).
7. Odia Wikipedia to Digitise 14 Books
(The Pioneer, March 30, 2014).
8. <http://cis-india.org/news/odishan-march-30-2014-odisha-2014-coverage> ଓଡ଼ିଆରେ
ଉଇକିପିଡିଆ ଓ ଉଇକିପାଠାଗାର: ଓଡ଼ିଆ ପୁସ୍ତକ ଏଣିକି ମୁକ୍ତରେ ମିଳିବ ଇଣ୍ଟରନେଟରେ (Odishan, March 30,
2014): link to the news <http://odishan.com/?p=11797> . Subhashish Panigrahi read
out the annual report.
9. Odisha Day 2014
Samay, March 30, 2014).
10. Odisha Day 2014 <http://cis-india.org/news/sambad-march-31-2014-odisha-day-2014>
(Sambad, March 31, 2014): link
11. Emphasis on developing vernacular encyclopaedias
(The Hindu, March 30, 2014).
Wikimedia Foundation has funded A2K to anchor the growth of Wikimedia movement in India.
The A2K team consists of six members, four based in Bangalore: T. Vishnu Vardhan, Dr. U.B.
Pavanaja, Subhashish Panigrahi and Rahmanuddin Shaikh. One team member Nitika Tandon is
based in Delhi. We also have one Advisor Dr. Tejaswini Niranjana working with us. Archives
of our newsletters can be accessed here <http://cis-india.org/about/newsletters> .
Wikipedians from various communities can request for outreach programs, technical bugs,
logistics-merchandize and media, public relations and communications here
The Centre for Internet and Society is a non-profit research organization that works on
policy issues relating to freedom of expression, privacy, accessibility for persons with
disabilities, access to knowledge and IPR reform, and openness (including open government,
FOSS, open standards, etc.), and engages in academic research on digital natives and
Follow us elsewhere
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/CISA2K
* CIS group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cis.india
* Visit us at: https://cis-india.org
Request for Collaboration:
We invite researchers, practitioners, and theoreticians, both organisationally and as
individuals, to collaboratively engage with Internet and society and improve our
understanding of this new field. To discuss the research collaborations, write to Sunil
Abraham, Executive Director, at sunil(a)cis-india.org or Nishant Shah, Director – Research,
at nishant(a)cis-india.org. To discuss collaborations on Indic language wikipedia, write to
T. Vishnu Vardhan, Programme Director, A2K, at vishnu(a)cis-india.org.
CIS is grateful to its donors, Wikimedia Foundation, Ford Foundation, Privacy
International, UK, Hans Foundation and the Kusuma Trust which was founded by Anurag
Dikshit and Soma Pujari, philanthropists of Indian origin, for its core funding and
support for most of its projects.
Thanks and regards,
U.B. Pavanaja, MSc, PhD
Programme Officer – Indian languages <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pavanaja>
Access to Knowledge program
The Centre for Internet & Society