The 2021 Board of Trustees election is coming soon. Candidates from the community are needed to fill the available seats.
The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees oversees the Wikimedia Foundation's operations. Community trustees and appointed trustees make up the Board of Trustees. Each trustee serves a three-year term. The Wikimedia community has the opportunity to vote for community trustees.
Wikimedia contributors will vote to fill four seats on the Board in 2021. This is an opportunity to improve the Board's representation, diversity, and expertise as a team.
For potential candidates:
- Traits: Wikimedia is a global movement and seeks candidates from the broader community. Candidates should think about what experiences and perspectives they will bring to the Board. Ideal candidates align with the Wikimedia mission and are thoughtful, respectful, and community-oriented. The Board would like to find perspectives and voices that are under-represented and essential for our movement. They should bring what Wikimedia needs from a new Trustee.
- Commitment: Trustees serve a three-year term and can serve up to three consecutive terms. The time commitment is about 150 hours per year, excluding travel. This time is not evenly spread throughout the year. The time is concentrated around meetings. The expectation is that Trustees serve on at least one of the Board’s committees.
- Requirements: English is the language of business for the Board. Candidates need a basic understanding of English, but support and training are part of onboarding. Candidate applications will be translated into several languages to reach a broad audience of voters.
- Apply: Candidates from all projects and communities who meet the needs of Wikimedia Trustee are welcome. If you know someone who could be a good trustee, encourage them to run for election. Candidates can find information and submit their nomination on the Apply to be a Candidate page.
- Resources: A toolkit has been developed for community members who are considering submitting their candidacy for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, and who want to better understand what to expect and how to prepare for the role.
Thank you for your support,
The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees