Again another flu addled quick reply.
4) TD made an apparently beautifully simple suggestion on this, but it
became rapidly rather less simple when we were trying to word it. I don't
think it actually needs to be that complicated at all. We just need to say
that any expulsion by the board can be overturned by an ordinary resolution
of the membership. We don't have to worry about formal appeals processes
etc., it's up to the expelled member to canvas actual members to persuade
them to submit such a resolution. (We may perhaps need a clause saying the
membership must be notified of expulsions, but that's it.)
7) I've made my thoughts known on quorum in the past, but since I seem to be
the only person who thinks 10 is too high, I'm not going to fight this.
10) On voting: I thought we'd come to a consensus on using approval voting
for board votes too?
21) Perhaps we should again have some "subject to legal advice" text on
[mailto:email@example.com] On Behalf Of Mickey Conn
Sent: 08 October 2008 01:42
Subject: [Wikimediauk-l] Mem&Arts - Summary
The board meeting on 7th October has recommended several changes to
the proposed Memorandum of Association
and Articles of
The target date for sending an agreed version of these documents to
the Chapters Committee was 11th October. In order to get more
feedback from the community, the board has decided to postpone this
action to Monday 13th October, when the next board meeting will be
This means that we need to work quickly to agree a final version of
the documents. In particular, we want to discuss and get a consensus
on the objects (about which I've posted separately), and the following
clauses in the Articles of Association:
# (Clause 4) Termination of Membership
- What procedure, if any, should be in place for appeals from people
who have had their membership terminated by decision of the board?
# (Clause 7) Quorum
- What should the minimum quorum for general meetings be? We hope to
grow quickly, so the usual "one tenth of the total membership at the
time" should soon be the one that applies, but what should the lower
limit initially be?
# (Clause 10) Voting
- Do we need to specify voting procedures for electing Directors?
Perhaps the procedure used in the recent board election?
# (Clause 14) Age limits of Directors / members
- Are we happy with the proposal that Directors must be 16 or over,
with a majority of Directors 18 or over, and that there shall be no
limit on the age of members?
# (Clause 21) Delegation
- Should Directors be permitted to delegate the powers to committees
# (Clause 27) Indemnity
- So far as I can remember, Option 1B has been the only one suggested.
Are we happy with this?
If you have a proposal or an opinion on these, or on the changes made
to the MoA and AoA during the board meeting, please put it forward now
- time is of the essence!
Wikimedia UK mailing list