This looks interesting - but not to me as a potential jobseeker.
However, depending on my personal finances at the time, I might be very
interested as attending as a member of the press. ;-)
On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 12:48 +0200, Michael Peel wrote:
I've put a job advertisement below for the position of a GLAM-WIKI organizer. The
deadline for applicants is 17.00 BST on the 20th July 2010. Please feel free to pass the
advertisement on to anyone that you think might be interested. I'll be posting it on
the WMUK blog in the next day or so, internet access permitting...
If anyone has any queries, please let me know - either on this mailing list or off-list -
and I'll do my best to answer them.
(with Wikimedia UK Company Secretary hat on)
GLAM-WIKI Conference Organizer
Wikimedia UK is a not-for-profit association set up to promote and support Wikipedia, its
sister projects, and other open educational resources in the UK . "Open" content
refers to information which is available for copying, reuse and modification, including
for commercial uses, without cost or restriction other than attribution. We were
established in 2008 and are one of around thirty similar associations in countries around
the world. We work with museums, universities, businesses and media companies to make more
freely licensed content available via Wikipedia and similar projects, and to help other
people re-use content from Wikipedia. We seek to have a close relationship with cultural
institutions, other open content organizations in the UK, and with the community of
Wikimedia readers and editors.
The GLAM-WIKI conference will be a two day meeting between Galleries, Libraries, Archives
and Museums (GLAM) and Wikimedians. It will likely be held in the British Museum on 26-27
November 2010 (TBC), and will have around 200 attendees. The event will be primarily
funded by Wikimedia UK. The aims of the meeting are to:
- Bring together the cultural sector and Wikimedia to discuss common ground from a
UK-specific point of view (similar to a previous meeting held in Australia last year)
- Discuss the positive and negative aspects of previous interactions
- Discuss future ways of cooperating with each other
We seek an organizer for this conference who will prepare and run the event. Specific
tasks that they will be responsible for include:
- Preparing a full budget for the conference, and locating sponsors as necessary.
- Approaching speakers and organizing the program for the meeting
- Ensuring that the event is advertised to both the GLAM sector and Wikimedians, and that
there are adequate numbers of attendees from both groups
- Preparing all other aspects of the conference to ensure that it runs smoothly on the
day - e.g. preparing the venue, catering, audiovisual, etc.
- Quantifying and reporting on the outcomes of the conference
The successful candidate will report to the Company Secretary, Michael Peel, on a
day-to-day basis. They will also be expected to provide reports to the Wikimedia UK Board
at its monthly meetings.
The following skills are required:
- Excellent written communication
- Good organizational capability
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Internet connection and ability to work from home
- Must be comfortable working in a consensus-orientated environment
The following elements are preferred:
- Previous experience organizing conferences
- Knowledge of the Wikimedia projects and community
- Knowledge of the UK cultural sector
- Knowledge of the relationships between Wikimedia projects and the GLAM sector
Duration and salary
This is a part time contractor position that will start on 1 August 2010 and will run
until 14 December 2010. Most work will be done from home, however the organizer will
expect to be present at the venue for several days preceding the event, and of course
during the event itself. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that
they can work within the UK.
Payment will be in the form of two lump sums - one following from the creation of a
budget for the meeting and a preliminary outline of the schedule; the second following
from the successful completion of the event. The amount will be commensurate with the
experience of the successful candidate and will fit within the overall budget for the
event. Reasonable expenses (including travel to the UK if necessary) will also be paid
from the event budget.
Please send a CV and cover letter to michael.peelwikimedia.org.uk by 17.00 BST on 20 July
Wikimedia UK mailing list