Have you checked this issue with the active users of Hindi wikipedia or other wikis that use Devanagri script? And are you able to reproduce this issue in another system?

Google chrome is displaying Devanagri without any issues in my system (WindowsXP SP2 + Google chrome 8.0).

The problem might be there only in your friend's system.  Try this solution: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/int_pr_install_complex_languages.mspx?mfr=true


2010/12/17 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com>
HI all,
 Because things are still a bit fresh in my mind, I tried to see how
Indian languages performed both on windows box as well as on

This mail would talk only about windows xp while another mail would
give the issues in GNU/Linux.

While I can't give screenshots atm, this is on a friend's system and
he has the following browsers on the system :-

a. Mozilla Firefox 4.0b7 (beta)
b. Chrome 8.0 (stable)
c. Opera 11 (newly released)

We went through the whole she-bang at http://bit.ly/fCxKrf , also
looked at the uniscribe stuff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniscribe
saw the discussion at

Also looked at http://www.catch22.net/tuts/neatpad/11

and were still scratching our heads as to why we weren't able to see
Devanagri in Google Chrome.

We installed the font Rachana.

Then we rebooted and in Firefox it renders but Google Chrome not
getting anything.

The USP.dll is at version 1.420.2600.2180 on my friend's system. This
was done using the steps outlined at


and looking at the version numbers at


Looking for answers - it was fun.
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
  My quotes in this email licensed under CC 3.0
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Wikimediaindia-l mailing list