Have you checked this issue with the active users of Hindi wikipedia or
other wikis that use Devanagri script? And are you able to reproduce this
issue in another system?
Google chrome is displaying Devanagri without any issues in my system
(WindowsXP SP2 + Google chrome 8.0).
The problem might be there only in your friend's system. Try this solution:
Because things are still a bit fresh in my mind, I tried to see how
Indian languages performed both on windows box as well as on
This mail would talk only about windows xp while another mail would
give the issues in GNU/Linux.
While I can't give screenshots atm, this is on a friend's system and
he has the following browsers on the system :-
a. Mozilla Firefox 4.0b7 (beta)
b. Chrome 8.0 (stable)
c. Opera 11 (newly released)
We went through the whole she-bang at http://bit.ly/fCxKrf
looked at the uniscribe stuff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniscribe
saw the discussion at
Also looked at http://www.catch22.net/tuts/neatpad/11
and were still scratching our heads as to why we weren't able to see
Devanagri in Google Chrome.
We installed the font Rachana.
Then we rebooted and in Firefox it renders but Google Chrome not
The USP.dll is at version 1.420.2600.2180 on my friend's system. This
was done using the steps outlined at
and looking at the version numbers at
Looking for answers - it was fun.
Shirish Agarwal शिरीष अग्रवाल
My quotes in this email licensed under CC 3.0
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3 8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list