FYI - an update from our friends in Catalonia (not an official
Wikimedia chapter). This is the first I've read about the Mozilla
Drumbeat Festival in Barcelona in November (
), which some of you
may be interested in attending.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: J. G. Góngora <ganastonia(a)hotmail.com>
Subject: [Wikimedia Chapters Reports] [Non-officially recognised]
Wikimedia CAT July 2010 report
I am pleased to submit the following Chapter report for the potential
Wikimedia CAT chapter:
J. Gustavo Góngora Goloubintseff
Courses and lectures
This month, where courses are over, there have not been any courses
but we are managing to prepare more activities for next month.
* Meeting with the Department of Education of the Catalan Government
and the UOC for the project Viquilletra, which begins in September.
* Meeting with the UOC (Catalonia Open University) in order to make
them use Wikipedia on postgraduate studies. (User:Barcelona)
* Meeting with the Department of Pedagogical Innovation of the
Balearic Government. They confirm an economic support of 4.000€ for
the 2010-2011 edition of Viquibalear and the spread of it through the
department at the schools. (User:Paucabot)
* The collaboration at the free knowledge and free content coordinator
begins to be fruitful. Miquel Adroer has uploaded at Wikibooks the
Ubuntu Guide. (User:Miquel Adroer).
* The Department of Linguistic Standardization of the Balearic
Government has set under consideration the possibility of releasing
contents. Especially, the ones from web hudà. Further information:
* 20 July: meeting at the "Racó Català" in order to see how we can
improve the outreach of the news on Wikipedia.
* A letter has been sent to the media just to let them be aware of the
British Museum awards. Some journalists have already published
something about it: La tafanera, Racó Català. (User:Gomà)
* At Wikimania, we participated at several interviews with the media.
For instance, the Mediapro staff interviewed some members from the
Catalan Delegation for a TV program they are preparing and that it
will be available on many European TV channels.
* 15 July. Meeting at the Picasso Museum of Barcelona with several
regional museums: Macba, CCCB, Archaeological, Sciences, MNAC. We are
grateful to Liam Wyat for his incredible task in explaining his
experience with the British Museum. He even translated most of the
slides into Catalan (without our help). Further information:
* 27 July. Meeting with the Centre d'Estudis Comarcals del Baix
Llobregat. We are considering the idea of running the project that we
have worked at for so long with the support of Fundació Punt CAT (Dot
CAT Foundation). The idea is to carry out a pioneering project which
later can be applied to other study centres of the Catalan Countries.
Further information: (User:KRLS)
* 28 July: Meeting at the Department of Linguistic Standardization of
the Balearic Government. They are going to buy our book on Wikipedia
and deliver different copies of it at each library and at each school
of the Balearic Isles. Further information: (User:Paucabot).
* We encouraged more participation at Wikimania 2010. The Catalan
group made an effort. At Wikimania, there has been the possibility of
participating at the European Project and we have also met different
entities interested in getting involved with the Comenius Project,
among which we find a Polish school. More information soon.
*Within the free knowledge and free content coordinator, we have set a
joint agenda. We hope it will help to increase the synergies and the
crossed collaborations between entities to promote free knowledge.
* We are working on the organization of the Mozilla Drumbeat Festival
in November, where we are going to participate with workshops about
contents edition on Wikipedia and initiatives of education by using
Wikipedia. This year's motto is "Learning, freedom and the web".
(User:Esenabre, (User:Toniher), (User:Barcelona).
Chapters-reports mailing list
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation
Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate