I travelled to New Mexico this weekend to visit with family in
Albuquerque and met today at the Santa Domingo Pueblo with
several native speakers about the preservation efforts for the Keresan
Keres is spoken on the Acoma, Cochiti, Laguna, San Felipe, Santa Ana,
Santo Domingo, and Zia Pueblos. There are four distinct
languages spoken in the pueblos, and they are completly unrelated
Lexicons and grammar references for machine translation are under way
for support for Keres.
I've registered #wikimedia-admin for Wikimedia administrators to
discuss and coordinate administration. There are currently
administrators active in the channel from all Wikimedia projects
except Wikispecies. The channel allows administrators to discuss and
coordinate interwiki countervandalism, discuss proposals and changes
affecting administration on all projects, notify administrators of
unnoticed vandalism on a particular project, and otherwise just chat
with the wider administrative community.
Access is by invitation; users granted access are automatically
allowed in without any need for further invitations (the channel has
the +L mode, thanks to a Freenode staffer). Any channel user can
temporarily invite other users, but only Shanel, Slowking Man, and
myself (at the moment) can give permanent access. If you're an
administrator on any Wikimedia project and would like access, ask in
#wikimedia or #wikipedia-en-admins, or contact [[m:User:Pathoschild]]
Hi, Does the Foundation have any preference for a particular open
content license, eg GFDL ? Or is it strictly neutral on this 'legality'
I just saw some thought seems to have been given to this question:-
[ Bylaws of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
ARTICLE I: NAME ...
ARTICLE II: STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The general purpose and objectives of the Foundation shall be the
following: Wikimedia Foundation is dedicated to the development and
maintenance of online free, open content encyclopedias, collections of
quotations, textbooks and other collections of documents, information,
and other informational databases in all the languages of the world that
will be distributed free of charge to the public under a free
documentation license such as the Free Documentation License written by
the Free Software Foundation Inc. at http://www.fsf.org or similar
licensing scheme, see http://www.wikimedia.org. The goals of the
foundation are to encourage the further growth and development of open
content, social sofware WikiWiki-based projects ... ]
Now is the time to be a little bit more specific.
REORGANISATION OF BOARD ACTIVITY
On a very short term basis, (re ?)-organise the board activity (meeting,
agenda, reporting, interaction with other bodies) to ensure the board
makes its *best* to fullfil its mission according to our commun vision.
This includes setting up regular informal meeting times for the board
and the ED (executive director, Brad), setting up irl board meetings,
clear agenda, reports from ED to board, etc...
Brad is now sending to the board a weekly report on executive activity.
This report is followed by an irc meeting every wenesday ("ED meeting").
This meeting is still very much a mixture of ED report and Board
meeting, but I expect that over time, it should be primarily executive.
Board members will not be expected to attend every week, but only
according to their availability and (their interest in) the agenda. It
may be that once things are running more smoothly, such meetings will be
every 2 weeks.
Examples of issues discussed yesterday is "property & casualty insurance
review", "update on matching donation requests", "freenode donation
implementation", "WIPO fees", etc...
I hope these meetings will help ensure no issue is forgotten or none is
left pending for an unacceptable time.
Aside from these executive meetings, I will try to keep a pace of one
board meeting per month, where the focus will be on discussing strategic
issues, making high-level decisions, directing the ED to implement these
decisions and generally monitoring the general directions and pace of
executive. All board members will be expected to attend such meetings
and the agenda will be defined well in advance.
The next meeting of the sort should occur in Florida, end of november or
beginning of december. Issues to be discussed include
* deciding the procedure for the board expansion
* populate the advisory board
* vote on new bylaws
* approve budget etc
* finalize annual report etc...
To keep up with board decisions, I invite you to remember that link:
In the past year, most board decisions have been explicitely written
down on resolutions. Since Brad was hired, it has not been clarified
though, which decisions were under the authority of the board and which
under the authority of the executive director. I expect this will be
pinned down in the next few weeks.
BOARD RETREAT 2006: BOARD ACTIONS AND OUTCOME
To know the basics about the board retreat, I invite you to read again
SWOT analysis: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWOT
During the retreat, the participants made many suggestions. The outcome
was analysed and the actions to be done by the board, versus the actions
to be done by individuals or committees were separated.
You may find the board actions and outcome here:
To comment a little bit more on the various actions.
1) Executive Director search.
Brad was hired on a temporary basis, to relieve Jimbo from executive
duties and to start the process of growing from a family organisation to
a more professional organisation. Part of his mission is to help us find
an executive director, who we wish to have already worked for a
non-profit, and preferably at the international level. The search
committee existence and role has been approved on the 8th of nov.
First review of the process will be at the next big board meeting.
The general outcome of this action is to have a brand new ED by end of
spring beginning of summer 2007 at latest.
2) Board expansion strategy
This was already discussed a lot, but the issue we meet is whether
expansion should be done rather with appointment, rather with direct
elections or rather with indirect elections. An issue to discuss before
december is the "wikimediacouncil".
3) Fixing up bylaws
This is meant to fix many inconsistencies, many of them having appeared
due to our growth. We need sustainable bylaws.
Along with bylaws, we have discussed modifications of the mission of the
Foundation during the retreat (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mission).
Erik will engage the community on this one.
4) Advisory board
I'll simply remind my call for suggestion:
Do not hesitate to ask questions on all those. Trolling will not be
INDIVIDUAL AND COMMITTEES ACTIONS AND OUTCOME
Brad made us a summary of such outcomes:
All these outcomes fall under the following categories
3. Public relations and messaging
7. Program development
I'll comment very little on these. Do not hesitate to comment or ask
more details (we may not always answer, but will try).
There are only two issues on which I will comment because they are very
near my heart.
During the board retreat, a lot of the discussion turned around the
difference between Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia.
Wikimedia is seen as a larger group, including the Foundation and the
In the new mission statement, the Foundation acknowledges the existence
of the chapters. This is the first step in acknowledging that what we
want to do is to build a network, a worldwide net of influence,
promotion, support of the projects. Between the Foundation and the
chapters, there can be, they must be, a mutual benefit. A mutual benefit
for the projects and for knowledge dissemination. All structures are
self reinforcing one another. And between the Foundation and the
chapters, there must be rights and duties on both sides.
For example, a chapter may help the Foundation with a server donation,
but mostly, it can help promotion of project, organisation of events,
political "lobbying", educational contacts, and distribution of content
at a local level, which the Foundation can not so easily take care off.
We are working very hard right now ("we" is mostly chapcom and some
chapter members) to define rules and guidelines to recognise an
association is a chapter, to define rights and obligations of all
parties, trademark uses etc... There are still many difficulties on the
road (such as financial sharing), but the first big step has been done.
The step of making us a whole.
My second point is on program development. This is long term thinking.
And usually, it is not urgent, so tends to be forgotten in the perpetual
rush to fix what is urgent (buy new servers, pay the hosting bill, renew
a domain name, cool down a complain, do a checkuser for the police,
chase a worm etc....). Time goes by, and many things that could get
done, are not done. There is a lot of interest from several editors
right now. I am happy we took steps to focus a bit on program
development. Many projects could see the day, DVDs of content, academic
conferences, audio versions, accessibility, outreach etc... Much to do
Anyway, this was a very long email. I wish that you read carefully all
documents. Realise as well that a whole subcommunity is developing
around Wikimedia issues. If you wish to be part of it, you have a
chance, provided that you are serious and show you can be trusted.
I could add that it's a phishing.
Data: 09.11.06 10.06
A: "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List"<foundation-l(a)wikimedia.org>
Oggetto: Re: [Foundation-l] FUND RAISING IDEA
2006/11/9, Saqib Saeed Ch <nutron(a)wol.net.pk>:
> TO ALL MEMBERS / FREIENDS / BROTHERS AND SISTERS
> SAQIB CHAUDHARY
No idea if you knew it, but writing in CAPS - on internet - is
Just like someone is shouting in your hear.
I think it's better, the next time, to write it in small letter, if
foundation-l mailing list
TO ALL MEMBERS / FREIENDS / BROTHERS AND SISTERS
I HAVE A BRIELENT FUND RAISING IDEA WHICH IS AS FOLLOWS
IF OUR ORGANIZATION / FOUNDATION CAN HELP ME GETTING THE ORDERS OF GARMENTS SALES WE CAN GENERATE MILLIONS OF US $ IN A YEARS TIME. FOR INSTANCE LETS DISCUSS ONLY ONE ITEM JEANS PENTS AND SHIRTS
IF FOUNDATION CAN OPEN THE LETTER OF CREDITS OF NON BRANDED JEANS THE MANUFACTURING COST OF A GOOD QUALITY JEANS OF ONLY US$ 4.5/= PER PCS AND 54 US$ A DOZEN. AND WILL BE SOLD OUT AT 6.5 USD$ WHICH IS 78 DOLLARS A DOZEN THE DONATION PER PCS WILL BE 2 USD$ A PCS AND 24 USD$ A DOZEN MIN ORDER WILL BE 200,000 PCS A MONTH AND OUR FOUNDATION WILL SAVE UP TO 400,000 USD$ EVERY MONTH WHICH MEANS WE CAN GENERATE 4.8 MILLION US $ EVERY YEAR.
4.8 MILLION US $ IN ONLY ONE ITEM IF WE INCREASE ITEMS THE DONATIONS WILL ALSO INCREASE.
IF OUR FOUNDATION CAN HELP ME GETTING THE LETTER OF CREDITS FROM BIG BUYERS IT WILL GENETARE HUGE FUNDS FOR OUR FOUNDATION
PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE THE IDEA OR NOT.
The FundCom is developing ideas for a fundraising appeal to present to the Board. Please help us
edit the text at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_committee/Fundraising_appeal to
improve it, or create different versions to develop alternative texts.
A good fundraising appeal succinctly presents some of the great things we previously have done
(with an emphasis on what has been done since the last fundraiser) and presents some ideas on what
can be done in the future with additional funds. The point is to impress potential donors on our
track record and instill in them confidence that their support will be well spent and they can be
part of something revolutionary.
The final appeal will be created using ideas generated from this process. That document will then
Secretary PT and Organizer,
Wikimedia Fundaising Committee
$200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity -
Click now for info http://yahoo.ratemarketplace.com