Dear Boston Wikipedians,
For the purpose of tweaking a wiki, I would be grateful for one hour of
help from one of your members.
Having met SJ Klein and others at an open house at the Berkman Center a
couple of years back, and more recently at Clover in Harvard Square, I feel
as though one or more of you may be interested in contributing an easy hour
of your busy time to this particular project.
I have basic skills and experience with MediaWiki, but I need some brief
how-to assistance with some intermediate tasks. I have already gleaned what
I can from documentation, help lines, and fiddling around.
Using Mediawiki, I have begun setting up a wiki to support collaboration
among the founders of a proposed grade 6-12 school. The group comprises
oceanographers and marine biologists, maritime historians, geographers,
geologist/geophysicists, linguists, authors, and practitioners from other
disciplines who want to share the excitement of their marine and maritime
perspectives with students of the rising generation.
The school, to be called the "New Bedford Cheironeum," after Cheiron, the
first teacher (and teacher of Jason and the Argonauts), will:
- locate in the historic port of New Bedford,
- function as a tuition-free, publicly supported, independently
governed, "charter" school
- serve a disadvantaged population of 756 students
- emphasize "Ocean Education" through experiential learning
- train students to operate a soon-to-be restored 120-yr-old, 100-ft
long historic schooner as an ocean-going research vessel (see
- apply for membership in the International Baccalaureate "Middle Years
Programme" and "Diploma Programme."
- create a model for the creation of similar schools throughout the
The wiki I set up is currently password-protected. The url is
, and it is hosted by www.FatCow.com
I have a basic wiki. I need limited help with:
- upgrading the current versions of MediaWiki, PHP, and MySQL
- setting up one or two examples of templates, categories, portals, etc.
- adding some basic extensions (parser,etc.)
I am familiar with what needs to be done, but not practiced at it.
This wiki needs to be robust enough to support and encourage communication
among seriously committed founders, while stimulating the interest of
potential supporters. We have plenty of content; we need a more engaging
structure. We are trying to create a main page that resembles, in a more
modest way, the main page of Wikipedia.
We are also open to whatever suggestions you care to make.
Thank you for considering this request. Your help at this juncture would be
an invaluable contribution.
New Bedford Cheironeum
I am in the process of designing a secondary school, grades 6-12, to focus
on "Ocean-based Education"
open as a charter school in