Some links are broken but should forward now to the right places. However, please send us
mails to wikimania-scholarships(a)wikimedia.org and not to whatever is linked there. Sorry
Please help us spread the word, thank you!
Von: Martin Rulsch <rulschmartin(a)gmail.com>
An: Wikimania general list (open subscription) <wikimania-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org>rg>;
Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedia-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org>
Gesendet: 1:12 Freitag, 1.Dezember 2017
Betreff: [Wikimania-l] Call for Scholarship Committee, Help wanted for new applicants and
we are now calling for the Scholarship Committee.
The Scholarship Committee is an important and diverse group of volunteers who help to run
the scholarship program. We encourage people from all Wikimedia wikis to apply for this
position so that the committee can handle applications in many different languages.
The main duties of the committee members prior to Wikimania 2018 are:
* Participation in periodic online meetings with scholarships program manager and other
* Review and edit communications material (e.g. application questions).
* Assistance in determination of scholarship applicant requirements.
* Assurance of due consideration and speedy response time to Wikimania scholarship
applications in multiple languages.
For further information please visit
We are looking for Wikimedians from all over the world, who are:
* fluent in written English and have good communication skills, or can name local
community member(s) who help them with English translations.
* discreet and able to handle confidential applicant information, and objectively assess
* willing to review scholarship applications remotely in early 2018, estimated time is 30
hours. A review guide can be found on
* having either or both:
** previously attended Wikimania,
** strong knowledge of the cross-project Wikimedia community.
Scholarship Committee members may not apply for a scholarship themselves but there is a
small budget for supporting committee members to attend Wikimania. Please tell us if you
need financial support in case you’ll be selected.
If you're interested in serving on the Scholarship Committee, please send us an email
to wikimania-scholarships(a)wikimedia.org. If you have any questions, please don't
hesitate to contact us there as well.
Deadline to apply is Sunday, December 10, 2017. The organizers will contact all candidates
and publish the list of scholarship committee members right afterwards.
* Nov 30–Dec 10: Call for Scholarship Committee
* mid-December: Selection of the Scholarship Committee and start of the submission time
* 5–26 February (estimated time frame): main review time
Before the start of the submission time, we are adapting the application process to take
recent activities more into account than the years before, as proposed on wikimania-l. On
the one hand we want to encourage returning Wikimania participants to share their
knowledge, on the other newcomers to Wikimania to apply for a scholarship at all. Former
scholarship recipients can help us with the latter by sharing their successful
applications on MetaWiki:
In case you don’t have your text at hand, you can send us a confirmation mail to
wikimania-scholarships(a)wikimedia.org where you allow us to publish it for you.
Above all, we want to support African community members with applying for scholarships. To
achieve that, we are especially looking for volunteers who want help us with encouraging
people, assisting with the application form, finding the right level of presenting one’s
activities, etc. Please reach out to us if you'd like to help.
David Richfield and Martin Rulsch
Wikimania 2018 Scholarship Committee
Wikimania-l mailing list