Yesterday, I have met with the people responsible for the protection of cultural
properties at the Federal Office for Civil Protection in Switzerland.
The minutes (in German) can be found here:
Here a summary:
- They are happy to help us with the monuments lists in their area of competence (in
addition to the lists of cultural properties of national and regional significance which
are handled at the national level, there are also cantonal and municipal monuments lists
which they are not responsible for).
- They are positive about Wiki Loves Monuments; the same is true for the cantonal
instances they are in contact with (monument protection services / civil protection
- They promised to provide us with database dumps, including all the KGS-identifiers
(A- and B-objects; identifiers of B objects have been missing so far) by the end of May /
beginning of June.
- They will take measures to facilitate the updating of the lists on Wikipedia in
the future (clearly indicating changes on their lists; making database dumps available).
- They ask us not to use the official white-blue cultural-property sign for any
other objects than KGS class A objects and not to use similar signs either (in fact the
use of the official sign is regulated by international law and Swiss law) - This should be
taken into account when designing the interfaces of information systems (map applications,
phone apps, etc.)
- They gave us recommendations in order to avoid complications due to the different
semantic systems at various federal levels
- They will be happy to get informed about any corrections made by the community.
So, and now I hope that the 26+ cantonal and municipal authorities responsible for the
rest of the monuments will be as cooperative as the federal ones! ;-)
Berne University of Applied Sciences
CH-3000 Bern 22
Phone +41 31 848 34 30
Phone (direct number) +41 31 848 34 38
Fax +41 31 848 34 31