As you may know, the international team has been working on a series of projects to make more of your more than 1.4 million monuments and the data associated with them discoverable. To this end, we have worked on a series of projects in the past months:
* With WMSE we have worked on Wikidata migration of monuments lists.
* For data already on Wikidata and geotagged, we have developed Monumental which is the tool targeted at exposing the data we have and the ones we don't have. :) This email is about this tool.
In the past week, we have put Monumental in front of testers and the overall feedback that we have got is that the tool is intuitive to use, it is fun to explore the monuments using it, and it provides a smoother experience for uploading photos to Wikimedia Commons. With this feedback, we decided to set up Monumental for Wiki Loves Monuments during this year's contest. This is an experimental tool and this email is going to provide some details about what you can expect from the tool. We are also open to hear your other comments on this front. :)
==How can I access Monumental?==
While Monumental is a stand-alone tool, there is a Wiki Loves Monuments version of it that lives in maps.wikilovesmonuments.org
[Please do not share this link widely until we are ready to announce the page.] We still have a couple of fixes we need to make to the tool.
== What if some monuments are missing in my city/country? ==
The maps on maps.wikilovesmonuments.org
will only show monuments that are listed on Wikidata, i.e.,
* It won't show monuments that are not (yet) on Wikidata,
* If a monument is in Wikidata but it's not geotagged (with P625 ), it won't be exposed via this tool for now.
* If a monument is in Wikidata and geotagged, it will be exposed as long as it has any value for property P1435 (heritage designation) OR any value for property P2186 (WLM identifier)
== What if I want to "fix" any data on maps.wikilovesmonuments.org
All of the data comes from Wikidata, so you can make any corrections (or improvements) on Wikidata directly.
== What if I see monuments on maps.wikilovesmonuments.org
that aren't on my country's list? ==
There may be a few reasons that monuments appear on the map that aren't eligible for participating in Wiki Loves Monuments in 2017 -- the local organizers may decide to exclude certain monuments from the competition. To avoid any misunderstandings, and yet to allow people to contribute photos of monuments (even if they're not eligible to participate as part of this year's contest), we will show a banner right above the upload link. -- example https://maps.wikilovesmonuments.org/object/406972
* If you are the local organizer for a country and you want this banner to be removed for your country's monuments, i.e., if you want to accept any monuments photo submission as part of your contest and via maps.wikilovesmonuments.org
, please contact us. We can remove this message from the upload pages for your country.
* Everyone else, the message will be there and it is the responsibility of the user to check the local rules and figure out if their upload is eligible for the local competition.
* If you are the organizer for Ireland, Poland, Sweden or UK: you are guaranteed that uploades via maps.wikilovesmonuments.org
are uploads for your campaign and they all should be considered. We do not show the warning message in the upload pages corresponding to your monuments.
== How can I find photos uploaded via the map? ==
They will all appear in Category:Uploaded with Monumental.
* If monument in Wikidata got value for P373 (Wikimedia Commons category), image will be added to this category
* If not, picture will be added to category "Cultural heritage monuments in X", where X is country name.