* We have developed a map feature for Wiki Loves Monuments 2017.
* If you are a local organizer, please read the details below to learn more
about what it is, what you can expect, ... :)
As you may know, the international team has been working on a series of
projects to make more of your more than 1.4 million monuments and the data
associated with them discoverable. To this end, we have worked on a series
of projects in the past months:
* With WMSE we have worked on Wikidata migration of monuments lists.
* For data already on Wikidata and geotagged, we have developed Monumental
which is the tool targeted at exposing the data we have and the ones we
don't have. :) This email is about this tool.
In the past week, we have put Monumental in front of testers and the
overall feedback that we have got is that the tool is intuitive to use, it
is fun to explore the monuments using it, and it provides a smoother
experience for uploading photos to Wikimedia Commons. With this feedback,
we decided to set up Monumental for Wiki Loves Monuments during this year's
contest. This is an experimental tool and this email is going to provide
some details about what you can expect from the tool. We are also open to
hear your other comments on this front. :)
==How can I access Monumental?==
While Monumental is a stand-alone tool, there is a Wiki Loves Monuments
version of it that lives in maps.wikilovesmonuments.org
[Please do not
share this link widely until we are ready to announce the page.] We still
have a couple of fixes we need to make to the tool.
== What if some monuments are missing in my city/country? ==
The maps on maps.wikilovesmonuments.org
will only show monuments that are
listed on Wikidata, i.e.,
* It won't show monuments that are not (yet) on Wikidata,
* If a monument is in Wikidata but it's not geotagged (with P625 ), it
won't be exposed via this tool for now.
* If a monument is in Wikidata and geotagged, it will be exposed as long as
it has any value for property P1435 (heritage designation) OR any value
for property P2186 (WLM identifier)
== What if I want to "fix" any data on maps.wikilovesmonuments.org? ==
All of the data comes from Wikidata, so you can make any corrections (or
improvements) on Wikidata directly.
== What if I see monuments on maps.wikilovesmonuments.org
that aren't on my
country's list? ==
There may be a few reasons that monuments appear on the map that aren't
eligible for participating in Wiki Loves Monuments in 2017 -- the local
organizers may decide to exclude certain monuments from the competition. To
avoid any misunderstandings, and yet to allow people to contribute photos
of monuments (even if they're not eligible to participate as part of this
year's contest), we will show a banner right above the upload link. --
* If you are the local organizer for a country and you want this banner to
be removed for your country's monuments, i.e., if you want to accept any
monuments photo submission as part of your contest and via
, please contact us. We can remove this message
from the upload pages for your country.
* Everyone else, the message will be there and it is the responsibility of
the user to check the local rules and figure out if their upload is
eligible for the local competition.
* If you are the organizer for Ireland, Poland, Sweden or UK: you are
guaranteed that uploades via maps.wikilovesmonuments.org
are uploads for
your campaign and they all should be considered. We do not show the warning
message in the upload pages corresponding to your monuments.
== How can I find photos uploaded via the map? ==
They will all appear in Category:Uploaded with Monumental.
* If monument in Wikidata got value for P373 (Wikimedia Commons category),
image will be added to this category
* If not, picture will be added to category "Cultural heritage monuments in
X", where X is country name.
Comments and questions are welcome! :)
Lily, on behalf of Wiki Loves Monuments international team
0. Source code: https://github.com/hatnote/monumental