I am writing to give you a brief summary of the international jury process so far, now that we have reached just beyond the halfway point of the international jury process.
As you know, each year we seek to bring together a panel of experts in the fields of photography and cultural heritage, together with experienced Wikimedians, in order to create an international jury that is balanced, neutral and diverse, This year's jury is composed of the following individuals:
- Benamin Benita - international coordinator of #MuseumWeek and project manager for Unite4Heritage at UNESCO
- Wolter Braamhorst - Europa Nostra & Editor of Heritage in Action magazine
- Katie Chan - Wikimedia UK
- David Iliff - experienced Wikimedian & photographer
- Katherine Maher - Executive Director, Wikimedia Foundation
- Daniel Schwen - experienced Wikimedian & photographer
- Manit Sriwanichpoom - photographer
- Tala Vahabzadeh - UNESCO Tehran & professional photographer
We are truly thrilled and honoured to have such a broad range of talent and experience on board as jurors, and their input has been incredibly valuable so far in the jury process.
The international jury process is taking place over three stages, In the first stage, the initial pool of 489 images was brought down to a pool of the final 65 photos. The second stage of voting is currently underway, and the jurors are in the process of further narrowing down this selection in advance of the final stage of voting, which will open over the next few days. In the final stage of voting, the jurors will be establishing the final ranking and determining the overall winner. We expect the results to be announced in the first two weeks of December, however I will be in touch with you once again with an update over the next weeks.
Thank you once again for all your hard work in organising your local competitions and in soliciting participation in your own countries - the jurors have had a fantastic time looking through the stunning images that have been submitted around the world!
Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 international jury coordinator