Hi Nicolas, all,
thanks for bringing up the question, which may well be on the minds of
many. I have not coordinated this response in the international team, but
this is based on my best understanding of our situation.
You're entirely correct that there are many uncertainties. It's hard to
look ahead more than a week or two, let alone 4 months. At this point, I
don't believe that it's wise to make assumptions where we will be in
September, or make decisions based on those assumptions. Because things may
be better (we all hope!) but they may also be much worse. Over the next
months, the international team will keep a close eye on the situation and
develop scenarios what we can do, and what we can't. I expect that we will
make some kind of decision by early July.
I want to acknowledge that this brings an extra layer of uncertainty for
all the hundreds of volunteers involved with Wiki Loves Monuments across
the world. Unfortunately, we're currently not in a position to make a clear
cut decision. I do want to make clear that of course we would never ask or
encourage anyone to go against shelter orders or otherwise endanger people
- and I expect the national teams will feel the same about this.
If you're looking for things that you can do at this time in preparation
that will be worthwhile irrespective of the outcome of WLM 2020, I
encourage to take the time to reflect on your data infrastructure. How can
we improve the data quality, how can we establish better uniformity? If
people are interested in that, we should spin up a separate thread, and see
how different countries can help each other on this. This kind of data
structures are useful no matter when it becomes sound again to go out and
I hope everyone is safe and stays safe - no matter what the situation in
your country looks like. If there are specific concerns you have aside from
these, please do reach out.
With warm regards from California,
On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 12:27 PM Ilario valdelli <valdelli(a)gmail.com> wrote:
The opening will not be "go out" for
everyone and in every condition.
Probably during summer there will be a lot of limitations too.
On 11/04/2020 15:16, WereSpielChequers wrote:
Given the timings, it is very possible that some countries will be out of
lockdown in time for a photography contest in a few months.
But a great contest for lockdown would be a contest for scanning and
uploading ones pre digital photographs.
On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 at 12:53, Nicolas VIGNERON <vigneron.nicolas(a)gmail.com>
Given the current situation, has anyone (in the international tema or in
local team) explored how and if Wiki Loves Monuments 2020 would happen?
We start to think about it in France, there is a wish to make it despite
the COVID. But for now, we are mainly looking at options as there is a lot
PS: Can anyone make a script counting how many photos submitted at WLM
are taken before september? Our assumption is that a lot - most ? - photos
are taken long before september, which can be a good thing - people have a
"stock" of photos on their hard drive - or a bad thing - people usually
take photo now, but most countries are in lockdown now... So, it depends on
I hope you're all well and safe.
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Association pour l’avancement des connaissances libre
Associazione per il sostegno alla conoscenza libera
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list