There is a Wikipedia specific session at stall #196 (Akruti stall) on Sunday
Feb 6 at 2 p.m. All the volunteers who expressed interest - please make
yourself available for the session which might run into the evening.
The organizers were not able to allocate a separate stall for Wikipedia as
there was just too much demand from the publishers. However, we spent an
entire day with at the venue before the day of the event until late night
working with the organizers in an attempt to get a stall for Wikipedia.
There were publishers who had brought their books all the way from places
like Mangalore, Bidar that didn't get stalls either!
We're hence sharing a stall with a publisher friend, Guruprasad D N of
Akruti books who's been gracious to allow us to use the space. Pamphlets
about Kannada Wikipedia have been distributed for last two days from the
The National college ground has been way too crowded last couple of days
that it is difficult to even get to stand anywhere. Tomorrow would be the
most crowded of all the three days.
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Sri harsha <reach.sriharsha(a)gmail.com>wrote;wrote:
I am available on on Saturday and Sunday. I cannot make it Friday. Are we
meeting before the event to discuss things?
One clarification needed in previous mail some discussion going on about
the job description and programming knowledge can you guys provide more
details about it?
2011/1/25 Arun Ramarathnam <arunram25(a)gmail.com>
This is indeed a great opportunity to create greater awareness about the
Kannada wikipedia. We need a lot more contributors to Kannada wikipedia.
Exhibitions are hectic but p;pose the best outreach opportunity.
I though of sharing some learnings from the recent exhibit stall we had
the World Sanskrit Book fair for you and the
other volunteers to
- These exhibitions tend to draw lot of crowds and can be very
- There needs to be 4 volunteers at a given time in the stall.
- Volunteers need to be in shifts of 2 hours to be effective and
- Most of the questions in event like these are general awareness,
they can do as readers, how they need to do if
they need to contribute
to contact). Discussions will not be very
technical. (except in the
very few visitors)
- Having pamphlets is a a great help with the links to wikimedia.in,
kannada wikipedia and other projects, India meetup page. We struggled
writing the links through the 2 days as we did not have any pamphlets.
- We now have the banners from the W10 event in Bangalore. These will
be of great use.
- Take the wikireader, it generates a lot of interest. It is now with
- Suggest 3-4 laptops with a data card each. This is better than
a single projector. We did not use a
projector. One to one discussions
- Take a a few notebooks to write down contacts of people who want
to become contributors.
- You will also run into people who would want to give away content
they have created to wikipedia. This is as always a great
- From our past experience, the volunteers
knowing wikipedia (even
using is good). Key messages to communicate can be shared with the
general public is not very well informed on
specifics of wikipedia
being aware. Many may not know about it in
- The volunteers need the ability to communicate and relate to the
varied audience and backgrounds. This is the most important skill than
- Have at least one senior wikipedian in the stall to answer the
difficult or detailed questions.
- Overlap some volunteers across days to carry the learning and
experience of earlier days across subsequent days.
- Expect people to ask questions about Kanaja and other similar
projects. They may also have stalls.
Best wishes for the event.
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Ralph <work.well.done.in(a)gmail.com
> In order to move forward, may I suggest the following:
> Job description of volunteer: other prerequisites - please list
> 1. Speak Kannada Yes (mandatory)/No (not required)
> 2. Programming knowledge Yes (mandatory)/No (not required)
> 1. List of names/email of volunteers who will be present at the Kannada
> Wikipedia booth on
> a. 4 Fri
> b. 5 Sat
> c. 6 Sun
> 2. Location map of venue/hall/room - exact details to prevent frantic
> searching for the right place.
> 3. Bus from Shivajinagar/Majestic/...
> 4. Coordinator name & mobile 9.........
> 5. Please bring (your own) snack/lunch, booth will be working without a
> break! Cannot afford to lose a single visitor.
> 6. Script: What should/should not be said. It may be impossible to meet
> before the event for the orientation but a virtual classroom will
> that need.
Await your comments. Thanks. Ralph