Hey folks :)
We have quite a lot of changes lined up that are going to be deployed
soon. Here's an overview of what's coming up. I hope we can stick to
this but if there are any unforeseen issues we might have to delay
some of it.
== Tuesday August 19th ==
* Wikinews will be able to manage its sitelinks via Wikidata
* Wikidata will become its own client. This means you can for example
add a sitelink to Wikidata:Help to the item for all main help pages.
You will also be able to make use of the data in items on other pages
in Wikidata with lua. (Arbitrary access will be enabled for Wikidata
for this but when data in an item changes we will not be able to purge
the page using the data yet.)
* Sitelinks for projects with just one sitelink in the group (like
Commons, Wikidata and in the future Meta for example) will be grouped
together in one sitelink group.
* Badges for good and featured articles can be stored on Wikidata
right next to the sitelink. In a later roll-out we will make it
possible to show them on the Wikipiedias and sister projects in the
sidebar too. We will start with badges for featured and good articles.
More can be added on request later. Thanks to Bene* and lazowik for
this feature. I will send another email about this.
* Redirects between items will be possible. When two items are merged
one of them can then be turned into a redirect. This way our
identifiers can be considered much more stable by 3rd parties for
example. It will also make it unnecessary to delete duplicate items.
This will hopefully reduce the workload of our admins considerably.
For now redirects can only be created via the API.
* We are introducing the new datatype monolingual text. This will
allow you to make statements with a string and an associated language.
Please go and test these on test.wikidata.org
and let me know if there
are any issues.
== Tuesday August 26th ==
* The entity suggester will be able to suggest properties in
qualifiers and references as well.
* BREAKING CHANGE: We'll switch the internal serialization format to
be the same as the one that is returned by the API. The xml dumps will
also be adjusted then. If your tool relies on either the dumps or the
internal serialization of an item page then it will likely need to be
adjusted. I will send a separate email about that. (This is one of the
remaining blockers for statements on properties and further progress
on Commons support.)
* We'll deploy the "in other projects" sidebar as a beta feature to
Wikipedia, Wikisource and Wikiquote. This way you will see links in
the sidebar of Wikipedia for example linking to Commons, Wikivoyage,
Wikisource and so on. This can be configured per-wiki. Thanks to Tpt
for this feature. (Wikipedias will get this 2 days later.)
* We will make it possible to show badges from Wikidata in the sidebar
on Wikipedia and co.
Lydia Pintscher - http://about.me/lydia.pintscher
Product Manager for Wikidata
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.