Hi Katie, hi Rob!
Thanks for your swift replies.
Am 10.09.2014 04:59, schrieb Katie Filbert:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Daniel Kinzler
So, there are two things we need to know in order
to make an informed decision:
1) can we use the Ubuntu LTS packages for symfony and dbal?
which versions are they?
Both are "universe" packages, no not "officially" supported by Ubuntu.
But so is
php5-memcached and other stuff we use.
The hhvm status page for dbal lists everything before 2.5 as "not tested", so
just don't know whether it would work with hhvm. Worth a try, I suppose.
I can't find anything about hhvm compatibility on symfony.com
, but I found some
blog posts from 2013 discussing symfony performance on hhvm, so that should work
Am 10.09.2014 07:34, schrieb Rob Lanphier:
I'm kinda regretting bringing up the apt repo
case, because basically
a loophole in our review strategy, not something I'm sure we want to
encourage or something I believe will get a great deal of traction.
There's an outside chance that people shrug and say "sure, why not?",
but I don't think it's going to be generally attractive.
I wouldn't call that a loophole, but rather an inconsistency. Nobody is going to
review libpcre, or the mysql client library, or Lucene. I find it confusing that
anything written in PHP apparently needs full review, while we just trust stuff
written in C or Java.
I'm not saying we should deploy just any 3rd party code without review. I'm
saying we should have better criteria than the language the library is written
in. One criterion could be the size of the install base - many eyes.But then,
1) can we use
the Ubuntu LTS packages for symfony and dbal?
Per above, probably not likely.
But using, say, php5-curl or php5-oauth is fine?...
I don't want to whine and complain about the deployment/review policy; I'm
trying to find out whether there is a policy, and if so, what it is, and what
the rationale it is based on.
2) when is
14.04 going to be rolled out?
Concurrently with the HHVM upgrade. In the coming weeks. We don't
have a set end date for when all machines will be converted, but we
should be well underway by the end of this month. There's probably
going to be a stubborn service or two that will stick around quite a
bit longer than that, though.
Sadly, Wikibase seems to have some compat issues with hhvm. At least that would
be an explanation for the breakage on beta. We currently blame it on class
aliases, but nobody really knows. It seems kind of random...
Who can answer
these questions? How do we poke TechOps?
The Wikimedia Operations list is a good place to ask about this type of thing.
Yay, yet another mailing list!
Senior Software Developer
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.