The Individual Engagement Grants Committee is seeking new members. We are
diverse, consensus-based committee with members on five continents and a
variety of skills. As a group we speak 16 languages and have over 500,000
edits to a variety of Wikimedia sites. We review grant applications twice
per year in four categories: Research, Tools (usually software), Online
community organizing, and Offline outreach and partnerships.
Members may specialize in as few or as many areas as they wish.
We look for the following qualifications. This information is taken from
our Meta page.
1. Experience with the Wikimedia movement and at least one Wikimedia
2. Experience with some aspect of Wikimedia programmatic or
project-based work, e.g. editor engagement, WikiProjects or other on-wiki
organizing processes, outreach, events, partnerships, research, education,
gadget or bot-building, etc.
3. Ability to edit basic wiki-markup (grant proposal discussions are
largely conducted on meta-wiki).
4. Reasonable facility with English, for reviewing and discussing grant
5. In good community- and legal- standing (not currently blocked or
banned, involved in allegations of unethical financial behavior, etc).
6. Availability to actively engage in the selection process during the
published schedule for that round (time commitment is about 3 hours per
week, plus 1 extra day for scoring).
1. Experience leading, coordinating, or managing projects with an
intended on-wiki or online impact.
2. Experience handling externally provided money and working within
budgets, preferably in a non-profit context.
3. Experience applying for grants or working in grants programs (in the
Wikimedia, academic, or wider non-profit world).
4. Ability to read and write in multiple languages.
1. Members may apply for an Individual Engagement Grant themselves, but
they will recuse themselves from reviewing proposals in the same category
as their own during that round.
2. Membership does not conflict with membership in other Wikimedia
committees, including the Grant Advisory Committee
or the Wikimania Scholarships Committee.
Please apply at
close of the application period is September 21. The Committee will review
the applications internally and announce new members by early October,
coinciding with the start of the public review period for new grant
For the Committee,