I don't have any specific guidance for your questions, but in a literature review
I'm currently conducting with some colleagues, we have so far identified eleven
articles concerning participation trends, which might be helpful:
Associate Professor in Management Information Systems
John Molson School of Business
Concordia University, Montréal
Phone: +1 (514) 993-6648
-------- Message original --------
Sujet: Re: [Wiki-research-l] [Wikimedia-l] User retention statistics?
De : WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers(a)gmail.com>
Pour : Research into Wikimedia content and communities
Date : 19 Avril 2012 10:20:44
It is an interesting but complex topic.
1. People shift project - some of the early EN wikipedians may now be mostly active in
their own language versions of Wikipedia. The recent high profile retirement at EN
wikipedia is an editor still active on Commons
2. People shift Account. Some of our "former" accounts are known to belong to
people who now edit under other names. Some others may be doing so without disclosing
their former account.
3. We have had some deaths
That said there is definitely a pattern of the most active Wikipedians sticking around,
and I'm pretty sure that whether or not someone is an admin makes quite a difference
there. We have circa 750 active admins - 732 today
and we've appointed less than 250 in the last three years. so the vast majority of our
admins have been admins for much longer and editors for even longer than that. I suspect
that our failure to appoint more admins is one of the things that is holding the community
back and slowing recruitment into the core of editors who stick around and are our most
Of the nearly 1500 Wikipedian admins (active and inactive) only 150 first edited in the
last five years, and that includes 8 bots.
So at least 90% of the human admins first edited over five years ago, and the other 10%
are heavily skewed to the 48-60 month group.
I appreciate that we can't expect someone to pass RFA within a year of their first
edit. But that still leaves a huge gap - a generation of editors who started in 2008-2010
and aren't admins or even necessarily still editors.
On 19 April 2012 13:19, emijrp <emijrp(a)gmail.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>>
This thread is a good candidate for wiki-research-l. Forwarding...
2012/4/18 Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod(a)mccme.ru
My message is inspired by discussion in this thread
on Englush Wikipedia. Whereas the thread itself is not relevant to this list, and the
points get re-iterated on a regular basis, there were statements made there which contain
quantitative estimates (for instance that 90% established users who leave do it because
they get a new job or have their external life changed in some other way, and not because
of harassment etc). Most probably these numbers are not really justified, but then I
wanted to know what real numbers are. I am an Rcom member, but I can not recollect such
research being accomplished (I might be wrong of course). I could not find data easily
either (I spent half an hour because I remembered we had a Community Health initiative
group which somehow evolved into the Movement Roles, but the Movement Roles pages on
Meta do not talk about community health at all, and I could not even find an
appropriate page to ask the question).
After this long introduction, does somebody know / can point out the answers to
1. What is the average lifetime of a Wikipedia editor (for instance the one with
at leat 1000 contributions)? I recollect smth about two years, but I am pretty sure I have
never seen any research on this. How does it depend on the number of contributions?
2. What are the main reasons why these editors stop editing? Is this correct, for
instance, that external reasons are much more important than internal (on-wiki troubles
and wiki-related harassment) reasons? The same for say those above 10000 edits?
Thanks in advance
Wikimedia-l mailing list
Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> | StatMediaWiki
<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es> | WikiEvidens
<http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> | WikiPapers
<http://wikipapers.referata.com> | WikiTeam
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/
Wiki-research-l mailing list
Wiki-research-l mailing list