Anyone interested? please tell if you're interested :)
On 11/3/14, Andre Klapper <aklapper(a)wikimedia.org> wrote:
Hi Pywikibot crew,
Google Code-In (GCI) will soon take place again - a contest for 13-17
year old students to contribute to free software projects.
Wikimedia wants to take part again.
Last year's GCI results were surprisingly good - see
We need your help:
1) Go to
read the information there. If something is unclear, ask!
2) Add yourself to the table of mentors on
- the more mentors are listed the better our chances are that Google
3) Please take ten minutes and go through open recent tickets in
in your area of interest. If you see
self-contained, non-controversial issues with a clear approach which you
can recommend to new developers and would mentor: Add the task to
Until Sunday November 12th, we need at least five tasks from each of
these categories (plus some less technical beginner tasks as well):
* Code: Tasks related to writing or refactoring code
* Documentation/Training: Tasks related to creating/editing documents
and helping others learn more - no translation tasks
* Outreach/research: Tasks related to community management,
outreach/marketing, or studying problems and recommending solutions
* Quality Assurance: Tasks related to testing and ensuring code is of
* User Interface: Tasks related to user experience research or user
interface design and interaction
Google wants every organization to have 100+ tasks available on December
1st. Last year, we had 273 tasks in the end.
Note that you could also create rather generic tasks, for example fixing
two interface messages from the list of dependencies of
Potentially helpful Bugzilla links:
* Reports that were proposed for GCI last year and are still open:
* Open Pywikibot tickets created in the last six months (if I got your
products and components right):
* 19 already existing Pywikibot "easy" tickets (are they still valid?):
Could you imagine mentoring some of these tasks?
Thank you for your help in reaching out to new contributors and making
GCI a success again! Please ask if you have questions.
PS: And in a future Phabricator world, Bugzilla tickets with the 'easy'
keyword will become Phabricator tasks with the 'easy' project.
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
Pywikipedia-l mailing list