On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Merlijn van Deen <valhallasw@arctus.nl> wrote:
On Thu, July 30, 2009 9:11 pm, Stig Meireles Johansen wrote:
> I hacked a little on some old perl-code I had laying around which I once
Suggestion: pywikipediabot has good built-in support. My attempt at
building a simple parser (http://arctus.nl/~valhallasw/pulldom.py) is
about 10 times slower than just using four (much more readable) lines of

That may be, but when I tried your code on http://download.wikimedia.org/nowiki/20090729/nowiki-20090729-pages-articles.xml.bz2 (after unpacking of course) I got this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "search.py", line 5, in <module>
    print page.title
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe6' in position 1: ordinal not in range(128)

While my code ran like this:
$ time ./xml-search.pl nowiki-20090729-pages-articles.xml "\{\|" 0 > t.t
real    1m16.511s
user    1m15.657s
sys     0m0.856s
$ grep ^Searched t.t
Searched through 407565 articles and found 20889 matches

Give me some working code and I'll do a comparison.. :)