On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Merlijn van Deen <valhallasw(a)arctus.nl>wrote;wrote:
As we discussed on IRC, my suggestion is the following:
On 5 June 2013 16:49, Chad Horohoe <chorohoe(a)wikimedia.org> wrote:
Everyone seems to be ok with doing this sooner
rather than later, so
how about we pencil in the date of June 14th (next Friday)? That
gives us enough time to figure out the parts we don't know as well as
get notifications out to the relevant places.
Let's get the conversion working, but without allowing patches in Gerrit.
This allows us to do the migration in a somewhat slower pace, updating
e.g. the nightly generation and making it easier to check if the conversion
works as expected. This also makes it easier to get feedback on the
As a timeline, I would suggest to have continuous updates from svn to
git, roughly weekly updates
to the conversion code and a transition period of maybe 6 weeks,
starting next friday? I think it
is realistic as a time frame to update most things that depend on svn.
This sounds reasonable to me.
Things I think we need to
1) Exact repo structure. I think we've gotten
a good discussion started
on the wiki, but I'd like to see more input (and please, feel free to
it mercilessly, this was all written based on my
naïve understanding of
how you guys work)
I have added a new proposed structure on the wiki. Basically, I'd like
separate trunk and rewrite, and to rename them to something like 'compat'
'core'. After discussing it with you and translatewiki people, I think
having i18n as
submodule is the easiest option.
This also looks good.
3) What to do with submodules. A concise list of
all the current
will make this easier.
I think we should not have the same method with external libraries
svn:external'ed in. I'd be more interested in including a pip-style
requirements.txt, with an optional 'external libraries' zip package.
Up to you guys. Depending on the size of the dependency and ease
of packaging, some things can just be copy+pasted in (with licenses!)
I think we're all in agreement on 2013 committers as being the initial
group to have +2. I've updated the wiki to reflect this.